Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2016, 08:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Oldest Zoas melting away

Ok. I give. I thought this Zoa colony was bouncing back after removing a couple vermetid snails. But it continued to have polyps melt away. I thought maybe it was too shaded so I moved some rocks around. Still melting away. I changed the position of the rock the zoas are on and they look very unhappy now. I totally suspect the move to be the cause of that. The majority of the polyps are open but they don't look full like they used to. They haven't in a long time.

Everything in my tank looks great right now besides this colony of zoas.

Parameters are:

Temp 78-79
Ph(currently):8.47
Mag: 1400
ALK:10
Calcium:420

Nitrates: 5-10ppm
Phosphates: card says 0.25

I guess I'm gonna try and dip the whole rock and try and kill any left over vermetid snails. Other then that maybe reduce the lighting intensity? They are still at the same level in the tank just angled so now they all get even lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-31-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Polyps and softies is always something dealing with alkalinity. Be it a spike, drop, inconsistent levels...something.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What could cause a spike or drop? I was testing as I posted this because I wanted the most accurate readings to post

Old 03-31-2016, 09:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I tests my calc, ALK, and mag every Monday an hour or so after I do my water changes. It seems to have been pretty good for me doing this as my levels are always within the same ranges. I like to keep my ALK at 10dkh..I dose usually around 60mls of 2 part ALK on Mondays. And wait till the next water change to do it all over again.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Why do you keep your alk so high? But that doesn't seem like the issue here. Have you checked for nudibranchs?

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Not sure how I originally settled on that number. I think it just became my go to number honestly because of the trouble I had with my test kit in the beginning. I didn't trust my readings so I shot for the middle of the "acceptable" range and just stuck with it. Depending on the lighting in the room I either have an easy or very hard time reading my test kit. My corals always seemed happy with it. I'm gonna test again tomorrow morning and probably everyday over the weekend and then again after my water change to see if my levels are constant.

I've been trying to keep a very close eye for pests in the tank. Sense I just got 9 new coral frags I guess it could be possible. But I feel like this problem started long before these new additions. I always dip and inspect my corals before adding them to the tank but that doesn't mean I couldn't miss something. The main problem plaguing my tank right now pest wise are these vermetid snails. I have found that they definitely irritate corals when they are close by and that they even grow on sps corals. Once removed the corals are much happier. Other then that I literally sat on a stool with my face against the tank glass looking right at this colony hoping to find a pest I could remove.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Have you had a ph swing or anything? The snails could definitely be a factor too. Do you have a pic of the Zoas?

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The only thing I've noticed is that my PH daily swing has been reaching 8.49 to a range of 8.1 - 8.49. It used to reach 8.35 max. But as others have said before in my post about that it's most likely due to the fact that it's now spring and I've opened the windows. I checked my most recent graphs and haven't noticed any major spikes aside from when dosing ALK.

I haven't been able to test yet this morning when my living room is lit with natural sunlight. I'll post new results soon.

Here is when my zoas were healthy a month or so ago.

And this is from just now

Old 04-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ok just dipped them. They are all closed up but look good. Got lots of debris off them and a ton of Amphipods. I thought I did a decent job of blowing out the gunk with a turkey baster but I guess not.

I wonder if my yellow Corris wrasse is trying to get at the snails and pods and is really irritating them?

Unfortunately I won't be able to take time to retest parameters. I've been with my fiancť at the hospital all day and I gotta head back now.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Are they in a different spot due to being dipped?
I'd still want to aim at alk being the issue at hand.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
zoas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com