once quarantined ich gone forever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bawla47

Aquarium Advice Activist
i was wondering, once your fish are all quaratined, for the correct period of time, ich and alot of other parasites are gone forever? as long as new additions arent added to the tank of course. Or can certain things still trigger it and come back, like a big fluctuation in temp? or does that only bring out the hidden ich?

thanks for the newb question!

Jay D

There is no such thing as "hidden ich", it is either present or it's not. No amount of stress or duress can trigger something that's not there. If the fish are properly QT'd prior to entering the main display, treated if necessary and effectively, there is no reason for it's presence in the main, ever. As you say, "as long as new additions arent added to the tank", QT's are 100% effective at preventing these kinds of issues when done properly.

That does not mean your tank will be problem free. There are still a miriad of infections/bacterial problems that may arise from poor husbandry so keeping the tank health optimum is also important.

Cheers
Steve

Even if fish are properly QTd that doesn't ensure that they aren't carrying ich around with them. The only way to be absolutely sure that you aren't adding ich to your tank is to TREAT everything. Hypo all fish and fallow all inverts (corals, snails...etc).

I added properly QTd fish to my tank and have ich in there anyway. My fish are able to fight it off... but it is still in there. Did it come with a fish? Did it come on a coral frag? Who knows. I just know that my PT has come up with it 2 or 3 times (one day at a time each). So yes, if my PT gets hungry or stressed there's a good chance that he'll have an outbreak.

This is MHO. Your MMV.

I have had really good luck with QT. All my fish that made it threw QT are still in my tank today, ich free. I been doing saltwater since 2001 and it was just two years ago I started to QT. I have lost NO FISH since then. Before I was told the importance of QT we had fish die about 25% of the time. QT QT QT! Though it is the absolute WORST part of the hobby...it ensures a lot less heart ache in the long run! JMO

Phyl said:
Even if fish are properly QTd that doesn't ensure that they aren't carrying ich around with them. The only way to be absolutely sure that you aren't adding ich to your tank is to TREAT everything. Hypo all fish
This is becoming a more popular method but one cautionary note. Before you begin a prophylactic treatment, be very sure to wait a week or so first. It will give you the time to properly observe the fish incase there is a something that requires treating and dose not mix with hypo.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom