OOPS! In trying to rid aptasia I think I killed my corals!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizzybeas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I tried injecting my aptasia with lemon juice a few days ago. It was hard to tell exactly where the mouth was because it was toward the bottom of my tank. I may have missed some with the lemon juice and noe all of my corals are dying except my ricordia mushrooms. Even my beloved 4 inch crocea clam who has always been healthy has pulled himself in his shell.

I did a 15 percent water change 2 days ago, a 25 percent today and I thought I would try to do another 25 percent tommorow. The good news is that my fish are okay.

Should I change out more water than this? :(

I would run some carbon to remove the irritating chemicals and adjust ph if needed. that is only a guess.

What are you trying to do? Get rid of them (aptasia)?

If so i dont know where you got the lemon juice idea.....not saying it doesnt work just never heard of it.....if you are trying to get rid of them you can try these methods.

INJECT THEM WITH BOILING WATER AND CALCIUM HYDROXIDE BUT EITHER THEY RETREAT INTO HOLES BEFORE YOU CAN GET THEM, YOU MISS THEM, OR THE INJECTION DOESN'T BOTHER THEM.

TRY SCRAPING THEM OFF BUT THIS ONLY CAUSES MORE OF THEM

TRY PEPPERMINT SHRIMP

ADD A COPPER BAND BUTTERFLY FISH AND WATCH AS YOUR APTASIA AND OTHER INVERTS DISAPPEAR.

or try this.....APTASIA AWAY according to their site its "reef safe"

Personally, i use either a thick Kalk Paste, and feed it to them with, not inject them, with a needle or Joes Juice. These are the only 2 methods that i found works in my tank.

As for you problem now, i would suggest running GAC 24/7 for a while and i would add some Amquel and NovAqua to the tank. JMHO

we had great luck with joes juice ordered it from Captive Raised Corals which was extra great because i could use paypal got it super fast hubby nuked almost all of them in a matter of min and the ones he got have dissolved and not returned (y)

How much lemon juice did you inject into your tank, I think right now the last of your worries is what product to use to remove the aips that may have died with your corals. You would have to have used ALOT of lemon juice to effect the tank in the manner your talking, I personally have injected aips in my tank with lemon juice (and many times ended up sticking the needle all the way through and shooting it into the tank proper) with no ill effects from any of my corals, SPS or otherwise. What kind of lemon juice did you use? Was it 100% lemon juice, or was it artificial?

I used the brand "real lemon" It is the stuff in the bottle. I had to do it 3 days in a row to get rid of the aptasia. (it did work though) Now my leather wont open, my bubble is staying mostly closed as well as my scroll coral. Only my open brain seems unaffected. Most upseting is the clam which has totally retreated into it's shell.

I put in new GAC. I was planning on doing another big water change tommorow since I have nothing to lose. I can not figure what else could have had such a devastating effect on my tank. Strangely, the ph seems okay.

could it be that particals in the lemon juice that would have a low PH but not disolve into the aquarium water therefore not effecting the the overall ph. could those particals be swept out of the water by coral polyps and henceforth affecting the polyps ph?

I myself have used Lemon Juice Several times without ill effect on my tank.. I have killed several Aips with it and never once had anything other than that Die... I as well have a very large bubble coral and it wasnt effected either... I would look towards something else.. Was the needle used for anything prior? Did someone use your water change bucket for bleach or something? Not saying these are the cases just possible things to check..

James

Back
Top Bottom