Open brain coral doing bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is pointless to chase pH, that is correct. But if the swing of your pH naturally is low, then you will need to do something about it. I'd bet you could fix your pH just by pointing a powerhead at the surface to get some more oxygen into the water. Dosing for pH can screw your alkalinity up pretty hard, then effecting the growth of your corals.

Sniperhank said:
It is pointless to chase pH, that is correct. But if the swing of your pH naturally is low, then you will need to do something about it. I'd bet you could fix your pH just by pointing a powerhead at the surface to get some more oxygen into the water. Dosing for pH can screw your alkalinity up pretty hard, then effecting the growth of your corals.

Ok i did that. Ill let you know! :)

I also change my water every week. Volume wise probably 28 gallons so around 35-40%

The temp says 81 but theres no way it feels colder then that. I don't have another thermometer. I could use the kids digital one.... Advice?

melosu58 said:
Your PH is pretty low. Do me a favor and check it again about an hour before the lights go out.

Hey there well the ph was the same last night. We are going on vacation an i have a feeling when i return the tank will be a disaster.

My neighbor knows to feed them. Im getting a timer for the lights today which requires a three prog plug. There are 3, three prong lights. Do i get an extension cord then plug it into the timer which is in the wall? Sounds like a fire hazard.

I have an option of bagging up the brain and taking it to the lfs hospital. What do you advise?

I tried hand feeding it but she wouldn't open her mouths or tentacles.

Well shes hanging in there. Still not 100% but better.

Im now trying dosing with trace elements

You are going to do more harm than good with those. Everything you need is in your salt mix and dosing things without being able to test for them is a mistake.

mr_X said:
You are going to do more harm than good with those. Everything you need is in your salt mix and dosing things without being able to test for them is a mistake.

I agree. I didn't do it.

When i started becoming an aquarium hobbiest 20 years ago i was told water is everything. I will never use anything less then RO water and filter as much advice as i think. All the chemicals in the world cannot fix a disease. The clarkii clown is the culprit in this scenario so we are giving away the brain. It can rebuild itself and she can have a new anemone.

Thanks as always Mr X but mother nature wins.

I am sad to say that she is gone. I ended up using a bottle over her to protect her but she was already a loss.

:(

Sorry to hear that :( Bummer when your fish stress out your corals. Do you plan on getting a new open brain down the road?

AquaRick said:
Sorry to hear that :( Bummer when your fish stress out your corals. Do you plan on getting a new open brain down the road?

I don't want to risk it. About to set up a QT so I can transfer them and get BIGGER TANK:)))

Back
Top Bottom