Open Wound on Mature Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nitrate

Aquarium Advice Freak
puffersore.jpg

The wound is a few days old and appears to be getting bigger. I just noticed the red bump on the base of his fin today. I know the picture isnt very clear, but its the best one I took out of about 20.

Any puffer guru's know whats up with the sores? He appears to have some sort of irritation on the other side in the same spot as the open wound. He's the largest fish in the tank and everyone gets out of his way, I seriously doubt that another fish did this.

Any help with diagnosis and treatment would be appreciated

Can't really tell about the open wound but from what you describe and from your profile, I would veture a guess that this is from high DOC in the water. It often fuels the growth of bacteria allowing small problems the fish could otherwise fight itself to get out of hand. A few good water changes over the next week using well aged SW should help immensely. Make sure the foods are soaked in a good marine vitamin like Selcon or Zoecon containing needed lipids and [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] (or even >>Beta Glucan<<).

In milder cases, improving the feedings and water conditions will allow the fish to fight it without meds. If that does not help or it gets worse, you will need to QT and treat with a gram negative antibiotic. Maracyn II at double the dose daily for 7 days would work well. Just be sure you do not treat the display.

Be sure there is no aggression from other fish making matters worse.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve,
I have already started the water changes, 2 30% changes in the last week or so and I'm running my RO now so that I can do a third. Ive also cut down on my feeding and just purchased a much larger skimmer.

I'm sure my DOC level is high, Ive noticed the growth of sponges in my sump. Im hoping bewteen the skimmer, water changes and reduced feedngs that I can get it under control. I had no idea that high DOC would cause sores like porcy has.

Thanks again

Nitrate said:
I had no idea that high DOC would cause sores like porcy has.
It could have just been a small scratch that would have normally not been noticed and cleared up without incident. The higher organics simpley feed the bacteria allowing it to spread faster than the fish can fight it naturally. You should see some improvement soon. Just be sure the feedings are fortified as well.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom