orange face wrasse acts blind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobothefish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had my lights off and no food for two days because of a algae breakout. I got home from work turned on the lights, I checked my tank and I notices that my wrasse was in a rock and he seemed not to be moving, as if in a deep sleep. 5 min.later he is moving around swimming on the bottom kind of lame and bumping into the glass and the bottom then he goes into a crevasse in a rock and disappears. I dont know if he was startled or in shock or what. Does this make any sense to anyone?

No offense, but the description doesn't give much to go by in deciphering a problem. As usual, water parameters (NH3, NO3, pH, Salinity, Temp)? Are there any abnormalities such as clouded or ruptured eyes/lens, frayed/reddened fins, body redness/inflamation...animal just exploded? XD Perhaps just startled since there was an extended blackout period before you cranked the lights on :)

That sounds like typical wrasse behaviour. Wrasses sleep at night, often burying under the sand (depending on species). If you suddenly turn the lights on in a tank that has been dark for an extended period, they only partially wake up - swimming aimlessly around the tank and bumping into things. I'd suggest turning the room lights on until the fish are active, then turning the aquarium lights on.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom