Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2004, 09:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Orange Tree Gorgonia

As a few of you know, I picked up an orange tree gorgonia the other day. It was about 2ft across...even in my tank it was too big. So, I fragged it. All is good except for the places I touched it...the "skin" is coming off. It seems to have stopped receeding and looks good in the tank now. I was able to get about 6 large frags out of it.

Does anyone have any experience caring for these. I did my research, but none of the sites I found gave info on how to care for them. They all said "non-photo synthetic, advanced keepers only." After I saw that it was peeling, I called Garf..I actually got the director of their research dept. He was very helpful and I will obviously follow his advise, but I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them?

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:31 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

The only thing I can tell you is alot of waterflow and lots of food. I would look towards meaty planctonic size foods, cyclop-eeze and some minces sweetwaters might work pretty good.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Right now I am feeding blender mush (scallops, prawns, salmon, cod), mysis, mixing cyclops-eez, powdered spirolina, and Dt's. I was told by the guy at Garf that I should add in Reef Plus into the mix. All of that is fortified with Selcon, Vit C, and Garlic Xtreme.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can i get a frag? Im in texas and sounds like a nice coral
good luck with whatever hes doing

Mr. Marine
mrmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:07 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds like a good mix, I am not familiar with Reef Plus, so can't comment there, but I think the food you have is a pretty good start, I would definitely target feed these guys a couple times per day, cutting back if you experience algae issues.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a purple tree gorgonia. I have had it for months and it is looking great. They prefer low light so place it in a back corner or your tank. They also need strong current so make sure you a PH close by. As far as feeding, I feed DT's for all of my filter feeders and the usual, algea, squid, shrimp, and flake for my fish. It seems to do fine with that providing the current carries the food to it. It's polyps will usually come out at night or in the morning when the lights are off. When i see mine fully open I do a special DT feeding once or twice a week. Just one more cool thing to observe. Good Luck...Lando
Old 04-13-2004, 10:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Reef Plus is basically Amino Acids. I picked up some more DT's as well as the Spirulina and Reef Plus. It has some initial die back (minimal) but all seems to be well now. Thanks for the imput guys.

Mr. Marine...Let me get it established first, then we'll talk

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com