Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Osc. Clown...possible marine ich?

Ok, my male clown has salt-like specks on his head, but more like splotches on his body, and his gills are covered. It does not look like ich that I have experienced before, but doesn't have the gold tint that I've seen described with velvet, either.
He is eating. He's not flashing (in fact, he seems to be avoiding touching anything at all), but has been darting erratically, and swimming with his head down a lot.
I noticed a speck this morning at 5, and now it's all over him. Last night he seemed uninfected. It definately looks like a parasite to me, but which one, I don't know-I've never seen one cover this quickly before.
I do not have a hospital tank set up right now, but will get one up today to treat. Camera is dead; waiting on battery to charge for pics.
Any ideas?

Water:
pH 8.3
sg 1.028
amm 0
trite 0
trate 5

Stock:
yellowtail damselfish, 2 osc. clowns, diamond back goby, crabs and snails, various soft corals,
1 goniopora...it was a gift from a friend, and we're waiting to see how it does before bringing it to my lfs, as I've read lots of horror stories about them

Old 10-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Dunno about fish diseases too much but that salinity level is high.

How are you seeding the hospital tank? Describe the setup.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Read these if indeed it is ick which will look like salt grains stuck to the fish.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Austinsdad. Your SG is a bit high. 1.026 at the max.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree. Slowly take your salinity down to 1.024 or 1.025. Slowly

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 10-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

You can reduce the salinity, but if this is not Cryptocaryon, which it does not sound like, it will do next to nothing. Can you post a picture? Describe the behavioral signs. Sounds like Amyloodinium, Marine Velvet, and I would be treating with Cupramine in a separate QT. If you have any other fish they need to be treated too. Most fish that are infected with either velvet or Brooklynella succumb within 48hrs. Here is a link with pictures to help: Diseased Fish - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards
Old 10-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Here is another link to go with James`s link.

AmylloodiniumArt

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 10-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry I didn't get on yesterday. Set up the qt tank 10gal w/heater, and 20gal filter w/sponge only (sponge is an extra that stays in the chambers of the main tank-this is how I always seed qt tanks if needed-there are extra sponges in all of my tanks just for that purpose)
Treating with Seachem Cupramine which I think is helping, but I won't know for sure until tomorrow, I guess. The splotches have become less opaque, and the salt-ish spots on his head have gone away. The other fish seem to be fine, but we are monitoring closely.
The main tank was at 1.028 before topping off for evaporated water-that brought it to 1.026---this is one of the reasons I can't wait to do the larger tank for Christmas...the sg bounces around too much. I top off every two days, I guess I need to start topping off everyday to avoid that much fluxuation; I thought the 1.028 was ok, but I was wrong, no surprise there ; )
Thanks for the links, they were more helpful than the ones I pulled up, and it does indeed look like velvet. He's not flashing around as much, and he's swimming parallel again. One thing that gets me, is that he never did any rapid breathing.
I'll hopefully post tomorrow with more progress!
Old 10-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Sounds like things are getting better

As stated as before too, generally 1.022-1.024 is pretty good for a SQ tank, Its much easier on the fish - you're getting there

I've found with my 55 gallon I needed to top off with a half gallon every day during the summer and maybe a half gallon every other day now that its gotten cooler. My small QT tank requires a very close eye on salinity when its running.. quite a difference.

Make sure you get the right type of copper test kit for the copper you're using ( chelated vs no chelated) check the labels on both. As stated in the articles you're going to want to test daily to make sure the levels are at a therapeutic level ( as stated on the copper you're using) otherwise if too high will kill your fish or too low and ich/velvet wont get killed. Check the other levels too, and dose accordingly if you need a PWC. Of course I'd leave the main tank without fish for 6-8 weeks. Have patience, if you caught it early it'll be ok My very first fish I got when I started SW had ich and I had to go through the same thing... he's still alive and kicking today!

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

just as an update...the fish are all swimming happily around, and the sg is 1.024
thx, guys

Tags
clown, ich, marine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com