Painful Lesson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awillemd1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Could someone help me? I purchased a Copperbanded Butterfly at my lfs. I brought it home and put it into my quarantine tank. It survived for only 5 days. :cry: I could never get it to eat. My posts on this board informed me that the fish was probably cyano caught. :? What does this mean? How can I prevent this from happening again? Are most fish caught this way? What can one do to try and be a conscientious/responsible practicer of this hobby?

Thanks in advance for any information on this.

awillemd1

It means that people use cyanide to stun the fish when they are taken from the wild. I am not sure of the statistics, but I am sure that most fish harvested this way have a very low survival rate. I would think that only a small percentage actually live long enough to make it to the LFS. Chances are even your LFS doesn't know where or how the fish he gets come from let alone how they were captured. I good way to posibly avoid purchasing these fish is to find a LFS that knows his fish are captive bread. (good luck)

Also, whenever I purchase new livestock, I have my LFS hold the fish for a few says after it arrives at the store, and I check on it daily. (A fishes imune system crashed during shipment and they are very suseptable to disease.) This is a good way to tell if the fish is healthy and what kind of personality it has. (oh yes, all my fish have their own personality) :D

HTH

Howard

Thank you! :) I was hoping you were going to say there were certain suppliers you knew of that had fish that were either captive bread or caught a more humane way.

awillemd1

You can try here http://www.themarinecenter.com./ this place is pricey but they do specify how there fish are caught. As far as copperbanded butterflys are concerened I have read that you have a better shot with ones taken from Australia. On this site you will find net caught Australian Copperbanded Butterflies. HTH

id be headin back to that lfs and talking with them about it. You should always make them feed a fish before you buy it to make sure its even eating. Otherwise they could be selling you a fish thats already one fin in the grave.

Back
Top Bottom