Pale Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

easyian

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wondering if you guys my be able to help. My Yellow tang fading to almost white. He doesnt seem to be feeding off the nori that i provide in the clip. But when it comes time to feed my clowns he gobbles up their food. He swims around fine and lets the Wrasse clean him all the time. The only thing i've done is recently added the Wrasse two weeks ago.
He is in a 90gal tank with two O clowns and a Common Wrasse and a few inverts. I checked the water last night and have 0 amm. 0 nitrite and less than 5 ppm nitrate.(the minimum on my tester is 5ppm).

TIA Ian

i dont know about the fading, but i have a yellow tang and he doesn't like nori either, sometimes you have to soak it in some flavor like garlic and then they will eat it. personally i dont blame them, how much taste can seaweed have?
steve

With Yellow Tangs most of the time they fade is due to lack of or no vitamins in their diet.. I would try and soak the Nori in something like Selecon or some sort of vitamin enriched supplement..

HTH,
James

In my experience yellow tangs are prone to fading if they don't eat enough greens. If he doesn't eat nori (neither does my blue tang) try some other algae.

I have yet to see a tang that doesn't like caulerpa, you might want to try it.

if i remember right caulerpa isnt healthy for tangs to eat all the time !! its to hard on them !! shouldnt have probs with red or blue algae imo !!

I just lost two fish and i figured it was due to marine velvet. I am treating the remaining two fish but it looks like my clown is not gonna make it. Hopefully the tang pulls through as he doesnt look as hard hit. I had no signs of it until yesterday. This morning i was down two fish and the clown looks like he has a blanket on him. Cross my fingers.

Ian

I agree with the lack of vitamins, all my tangs loved romaine and spinach leaves- you coould also soak these in Selcon

Sorry bout that . are you going to treat the tank and all that then get some more fish??

Mr.Marine

Ocean nutrition used to make a frozen food called VHP (very high protein) This always seemed to color tangs back up for me. Not a good long term diet for a tang but it did the trick in the short run. Look into selcon as a food booster.

I treated the tank and am going to let it sit until the middle of Jan then ill start to get more fish.

I use a frozen food called "formula two" for herbivores, marine flake, and the Tang is quite yellow. The formula two has garlic and vitamins. I just throw a frozen cube in every day or so.

Back
Top Bottom