Panther Grouper can't swim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Airgoose2222

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a Panther Grouper (about 3 inches) this past weekend and he jus sits at the bottom of the tank all day. He has eaten a couple live fish since then, so eating and catching good is not an issue. He just doesn't swim. There are 3 other fish in there with him... Narrow lined puffer, volitan lion, and spotted grouper. All about same size with the lion being the largest but doesn't mess with anybody. Tank has been set up for a while and the other fish swim normally. He tries to swim, but always just sinks to the bottom and lies there. Any information you could provide would be great!
It's in a 140 gallon aquarium made.
image-1424814191.jpg

Thanks. I don't know if he's just too young to swim well, or if there may actually be a problem. Hopefully I'll here from others who've had juveniles.

From my own exspirence of seeing groupers they Manley stay in one spot and do nothing but does he move to get food and is on the ground or floating in a area.

That's a huge fish for a small tank, I have a mate with a spotted grouper (in a 600g tank) he bought it about 4inches long and it grew so fast! It had filled the tank within the year. He also has a panther (purchased adult size) in the same tank and it swims openly and freely, it follows you around, very awesome fish.

I agree with tank size. Just growing them out for now. I'll be building a 8'x4'x24" tank this summer for their permanent home. Can't wait for that!! Keeping the height a little low to safe on the cost of glass. Glad to hear yours are doing well

He does move to get food and when he gets curious about something. Is not a powerful swimmer by any means. But he catches live minnows with no problems. Otherwise he just lies on the bottom of the tank. Balancing on his fun so he doesn't plop over.

I belive it's him protecting his territory. When I saw them in the Atlanta aquarium they just sat there and stared at me so I belive it's normal for him but he will move more when he gets comfortable.

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping he'll find his swim skills soon.

Back
Top Bottom