Paralyzed cleaner shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessaathena0822

Aquarium Advice Activist
My cleaner shrimp is in some sort of stupor? I just changed the water about 20 minutes ago and but I noticed he was sitting in the same spot in the rock not doing anything but moving his little pincers. I tried to coax him into my hand and he wouldn’t move.

He moved to the side of the rock but then fell on his back, unable to move and now I don’t know what’s happening. He is making movements with his mouth (shrimp breathing/filter feeding?) and the little fins on his tail are moving sometimes, but he looks like a statue otherwise; staring into nothing.

He recently molted (probably last night) and I just cleaned up the molt when cleaning the tank.

I don’t think it’s the water because my two peppermints are acting normal, along with my crabs and snails and fish.

I don’t know if he’s dying or going through a bad molt. Please help):

IMG_1512183963.703318.jpg
IMG_1512183996.851593.jpg
IMG_1512184014.913345.jpg

Inverts are very susceptible to parameter changes. It will shock them and cause death, which is why we talk about proper acclimation with them.
If the water change was large enough or if the temp was off it could have been shocked. It simply being near the return during a water change can be enough.

Inverts are very susceptible to parameter changes. It will shock them and cause death, which is why we talk about proper acclimation with them.
If the water change was large enough or if the temp was off it could have been shocked. It simply being near the return during a water change can be enough.

He was hard as a rock when I took him out of the tank, and half of him seemed to have not been molted. He was extremely thick on one side. I only change about 15-20% of the water and I make sure not to have him by the return because I know how sensitive shrimp can be.

When I am making the water, it sits in a tub with heaters and bubblers (and the occasional stir) so the salt gets mixed in and it’s the same temperature as the tank water.

It could be me or it could be the molt, I’m not sure.

How long do you mix salt? How do you test sg?

I make it in the evening after I get home from work and have it mix until the next day. Then I’ll come home from work the next day and start changing out the water.

I’m using this plastic hydrometer from my LFS and Ive been trying to research a better one but money is tight because of the holidays and I’ve gotten so many mixed reviews on if it’s worth it to get a better one or not.

Do you have an agitator in the mix bucket? Reason I ask.. I'll make a 10 gal batch, add salt, test a couple hours and then test 24 hrs later and get different readings. I have a cheap 800 gph power head in the barrel.

Do you have an agitator in the mix bucket? Reason I ask.. I'll make a 10 gal batch, add salt, test a couple hours and then test 24 hrs later and get different readings. I have a cheap 800 gph power head in the barrel.

Yes recently I’ve been using some bubblers because I’m using my powerhead in my tank. Maybe the water is just too stagnant? I’ll see if I can find a cheaper power head to throw in there instead of the bubblers because it probably just needs some more movement.

I’d worry less about the method of agitation and aim towards replacing the hydrometer with a refractometer so you will know things are accurate.
Either way, what you described earlier about the molt is a most likely cause of death. A failed molt can be deadly.

I’d worry less about the method of agitation and aim towards replacing the hydrometer with a refractometer so you will know things are accurate.
Either way, what you described earlier about the molt is a most likely cause of death. A failed molt can be deadly.

That’s what I was figuring too/: mostly because my peppermint shrimp are doing fine as well. Poor thing was like a statue. Thanks so much, always appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom