Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
I agree as well. I have a blue devil and he is a devil! Have you seen him turn black yet, it's pretty neat.
When do they turn black????? My Blue Devil isn't aggressive. My Yellow Tail and One Spot are more aggressive. Also, as of now, and I am sure it will change, all of my fish get along great (I am sure it is beginners luck though)

Old 10-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Mine turns really dark blue almost black when he gets mad. My 3 stripes' white forehead will change to black also, and they like to dip. I think they are really cool, the edges of their fins have a tiny line of blue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie
My Blue Devil isn't aggressive.
They will get along, mine doesn't go after the others that much, and it is mostly chasing them around. I rarely see any nipped fins. But as they get older, they can get territorial.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

so I was looking through that list of the nano-reef safe fish and was wondering if there is a reason that they are mostly carnivores? and will the carnivores eat flake food?

i am hoping to get something that is a little more reliant on flake food since it is a lot easier to manage in a college setting (where I am)..

any ideas? or are there any other nano-reef lists out there?

ALSO (since it won't let me post this in a separate reply..):
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
On the rock, I'd try taking the smaller piece and placing it on the bottom of the sand, then take the larger piece and lean it off the left side of the smaller rock. In other words let each rock stay in the same place, just switch them up and down. Clear as mud?? Looking for a swimway with space between the two rocks for hiding or swimming thru.
Is this kind of the idea you were thinking? I just did it 5 min ago so it is pretty cloudy still, but it looks pretty cool. I was thinking maybe of getting another piece of rock to put on the right hand side at an angle making a bigger passthrough/cave like area.. but I am not sure if that would look good or not... It also wonder if it might make too dark of an area underneath?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank2_194.jpg (100.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-11-2006, 08:36 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah, that's kinda what I had in mind. Another piece like you suggest might work too, but you may have to lean them on the back wall wo ensure some stability. Speaking of stability, take 2 fingers and try to topple the rock with 3x the amount of force you think a fish, hermit, or snail might be able to generate. OK... just imagine. It'll come to you I bet. You'll get a good fit as you adjust and it'll feel snug before you get OK with it.

Also, if you ever think about burrowing critters (certain fish or pistol shrimp) you'll want the rock firmly seated on the bottom glass.

Lemme seee a pic of the whole tank. I'd like to see what room you've got on the left and right of the rocks. But I think we're getting somewhere now. More character in the last pic.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:28 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspiegel
i am hoping to get something that is a little more reliant on flake food since it is a lot easier to manage in a college setting
You will want to feed them a variety. I feed mysis/brine and then alternate with flakes.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-12-2006, 03:58 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Yeah, that's kinda what I had in mind. Another piece like you suggest might work too, but you may have to lean them on the back wall wo ensure some stability. Speaking of stability, take 2 fingers and try to topple the rock with 3x the amount of force you think a fish, hermit, or snail might be able to generate. OK... just imagine. It'll come to you I bet. You'll get a good fit as you adjust and it'll feel snug before you get OK with it.

Also, if you ever think about burrowing critters (certain fish or pistol shrimp) you'll want the rock firmly seated on the bottom glass.

Lemme seee a pic of the whole tank. I'd like to see what room you've got on the left and right of the rocks. But I think we're getting somewhere now. More character in the last pic.
it is pretty stable, doesnt move at all when i touch push it like you said to, i will post a pic tomorrow or the next day. I actually thought about retaking it because i realized once I posted it that it looked like it went all the way up to the wall.. there is about an inch and a half of sand on the left side and about two and a half on the right side so it seems like it is pretty good spacing right?
Old 10-12-2006, 08:43 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
pretty good spacing right?

Most will say as long as you can get a Mag Float on the side glass, you're ok. You're gonna have to get a glass scraper or Float and try to clean the side glass. Do a test run.

Then again, maybe some don't clean the sides, just the front. I like my sides clean too.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Then again, maybe some don't clean the sides, just the front. I like my sides clean too.
Me too!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
damsel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com