Parasite on my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jones1483

Aquarium Advice Activist
Guys and gals my blue bar pseudo has something in him. At first I thought it was like a growth or bump but now it sort of looks like a parasite or hug of some sort. It's right behind his eye. This little fish is too quick to get a pic of the mysterious thingy majiggy. Just by what I have said does anyone have a guess?

Try looking up parasitic Copepods, it could be one of these. There are many different types, like a thousand!!

Catch it , hospital tank it, and treat with copper would be my guess. Works for other parasites, not sure about a copepod though. Maybe just try to manually remove it with tweezers.

Thanks for the info but now I am pissed off. Just got this fish on Friday didn't notice it til I put Irvin my tank. I am convinced that is what he has. I need advice on what to do or tomorrow after work that fish is going to the toilet. I don't want those parasites taking over my tank.

This fish will be a hand full to catch. I list a fox face Monday morning and my mandarin is breathing heavy. I hope they aren't all infected.

Not sure if one could reproduce by itself. I'd try to just catch him and remove it, if you can.
Best of luck!

That, I really have no way of knowing. It seems like you would have seen it. Always watch the fish for awhile to see if the are acting normal, and visibly free of any problems.
Quarantining them too, is the best way to avoid introducing something to your tank.

It most likely isnt gonna take over your tank if its only one... And it was probably there when you bought it. Put it in another tank and treat it with a copper based medicine from your local fish shops

Back
Top Bottom