Penny died - What went wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drinkingbird

Aquarium Advice Activist
I came home from work yesterday, looked at my tank & noticed the water was slightly cloudy. I quickly did a head count & found my Midas Blenny's lifeless body curled up in her favorite rock. I removed her from the tank and inspected what was left. Her limp body was smooth, covered in a light coating of slime, her eyes were opaque and her gut was opened. She must have died early in the morning (I didn't check on the tank before I left for work), and the other critters must have been picking on her. I lifted her opercula to view the gills, they were a bubblegum pink color, so I doubt she died from ammonia burning.
She was given an honorable flush. She will be missed, she was an awesome fish :bawl:

I tested the water on Monday, all parameters were normal (ammonia - 0, Nitrite- 0, Nitrate -0, ph 8.2, temp 79-80F). I have had Penny in my care since November, did she die of old age? What went wrong?
I only have a peppermint shrimp, 2 hermits, and a couple of snails left. I am planning to let the tank go fallow for 6 weeks (just in case) before purchasing a new fish.

Does anyone have any suggestions to what may have gone wrong?

Back
Top Bottom