peppermint goes boom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

socalarsen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
bought a peppermint and within a week found him floatin around dead...everything else in tank is fine including my red star...what could have happened???

I haven't had luck with peppermints either. First 2 died within days, and the 3rd one, I assumed died, but then I found it 6 months (!!) later under a rock when I was moving my tank.

How did you acclimate him and what are your water parameters?

Are you sure it is not the molt? They look like the real thing. It fooled me a few times.

melosu makes a good point. the molts of both shrimp and crabs look very much like the real thing. however, i have also not had much luck with peppermint shrimp. i currently have a skunk cleaner shrimp that is probably less than a year-old, but undoubtedly the longest lived shrimp i have had thus far. i tend to have better luck with the skunk cleaners than the peppermints.

Yah, the molts fool me. I have had my peppermint shrimp for quite a while and he is as happy as he can be. When I feed my fish my cleaner and peppermint shrimp come up to the top and get some food 2. I had some bad luck with Blood shrimp. first 1 lived for 3 weeks and second 1 lived for 2 days. Parameters were set on the line but it was unexplainable mystery.

I too thought a peppermint shrimp had died on me. The molt led me to this conclusion. I have two and only saw one for about a month. About a week ago I saw both at the same time and was happy both are still alive.

Back
Top Bottom