Peppermint shrimp deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShaunV

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone. I keep having shrimp die and I don't know why. My LFS claims it could be the temp. 2 peppermints have died within 4 days. Here are my readings today. They have been holding steady for 4 weeks. My temp fluctuates between 76.5-77.2.

Temp: 77.0 degrees
Salinity: 1.024
Ph: 8.3
Alkalinity: 3.0 meq/l
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0

This is a 16.75 gallon tank started on 3/5/2012. The tank is cycled. I have 6 Nassarius snails, 1 tiger Nassarius snail, 1 Turban snail, 1 Nerite snail, 1 porcelain crab, 2 zebra hermits, 2 blue leg hermits, 1 dwarf yellow tip hermit, 1 electric orange hermit(?). 1 Zoa, 1 montipora, 1 frogspawn, 1 Xenia, 2 star polyp, 1 green striped mushroom. No fish. I am looking to put a clown in after quarantining is done in 3 more weeks.

Attachments

• image-4243933949.jpg
    image-4243933949.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 77
I don't think temp is the issue. How did you acclimate them? I would raise salinity to 1.026 because that's what the ocean is at.

I floated the bag and drip acclimated over 1 hr. the LFS kept his water at 1.025 salinity with 8.3 ph.

No copper. I have tested source water and tank. I think they weren't getting enough food. One shrimp attacked my frogspawn and I saw it swallow some. So, I think it either died from the frogspawn or lack of food. I have remedied that and everyone is alive and well. No more attacks on frogspawn either, so that is good. Thanks for input.

Back
Top Bottom