Peppermint Shrimp - MIA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aravindk

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 72g tank is about 4 weeks old. I bought a peppermint shrimp (along with 10 snails) and left it in the tank on Saturday morning and didnt see him ever since. Could he be hiding under a rock for that long? Is that normal?

Inverts do require good water parameters...can you post yours? Pepperminds do have a habbit of hidding out under LR. Any LR in your tank?

Nitrate <10; Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, ph 8.0, SG 1.023, temp 78.

The tests were taken last Thursday. Also I tested my water with two different LFS last saturday and the results came out 'excellent'.

I have nearly 90lbs lr in 72g tank.

For little more than about 90 minutes. I bought some snails along with it and I acclimated them for the same time. The snails are doing just fine. Even If the shrimp didnt make it, it should eventually come out, right?

I still would not count the shrimp out just yet. They are hiders. If if did die, you are not likely to find it

Mine comes out during feeding. Have you tried to feed them? the smell and sight of food, especially frozen brine sends them right out. I'd suggest trying that.

Mine also comes out when they sense disturbance. When I stick my hand in, whether to move a few shells or whatnot, they come out and play with my fingers. mine are very curious.

I havent tried frozen brine. I tried all other tricks but in vain.

I am curious: If they are dead where do they go?

I've only had one dead peppermint shrimp (he was about 2 years old) and he just upped and died and he was easy to spot, infront of the tank. if you cant find the body, it'll just decompose.

"I am curious: If they are dead where do they go?"

if you have a good clean up crew thay will eat it

If you bought if from the lfs then it probably molted soon after you got him. Typically lfs keep shrimp in fairly empty tanks without any place to hide and once you get them in a tank with tons of lr they feel more secure and molt and hide for 4-8 days until their new shell hardens.

They especially love frozen food (thaw & rinse before adding to tank) and if you don’t see it within a week then it probably did die. Also personally I drip acclimate all inverts (shrimp, snails, ect) for 4 hours but the 90 min was probably enough time assuming your sg/ph wasn’t that much higher then the lfs.

Lastly do you have fish yet, specifically any ones that might have done it in? My Fridmani Pseudochromis always picked on one of my peppermints and eventually killed it even though it was considered “reef safe”. Hasn’t messed with my other shrimp yet though.

Back
Top Bottom