Peppermint shrimp mystery death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingusplease

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi AA, I don't know which category to post is in, so here it is. This morning, I found my one peppermint shrimp dead in my 3G pico :'( . I have no idea how he could have died. My small hermit is very peaceful, and has been around the same spot for a couple day, so I know he isn't a suspect. All my corals are healthy, and my other cleaner shrimp is happy as well. My params are fine, but there is some nitrate (~15.) Also, he was completely intact, with no indication of an attack. One last thing: I've had him for two weeks, and he's been completely happy the whole time.

My question is, how could he have died? Also, if I get another peppermint, will it be ok? Thanks for any help!

It is hit and miss with inverts. Sometimes they just don't make it and if your water params are good then it was probably a random death. I would do a water change just in case and you should be fine to add another one.

I have just lost cleaning shrimp? It has been with me about 18months. Do you know how Long they normally live?

Make sure your iodine levels are good, too. Quality salt mix should keep this in good shape, but it's a good idea to check just on case. Some corals could use it up. The shrimp need this in order to molt. Without it, an unsuccessful molt could result in a death.

Thanks guys for your responses, I'll check the iodine levels. My skunk cleaner shrimp died a day later, and I have no idea why. I'll check iodine and get back to you...

Back
Top Bottom