Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-29-2004, 09:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
percula acting funny

Hi, one of two perculas is acting funny. Occasionaly, I see him consuming air bubbles from the surface. At times, he has difficulty swimming down as he wants to float back up to the surface. He still eats fine. What kind of behavior is this and can I stop it? I feed them a diet of flake food and brine shrimp.

fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 12:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Since no one else has jumped in here, I will--but hopefully someone more experienced than I am will come along. The food might be an issue--I don't think brine shrimp have much nutritional value. You might consider alternating the flakes with a good frozen food like Formula One. I have a "variety pack" of frozen cubes, as well, and feed cubes and flakes on alternate days. Also, he might be getting air from eathing the flakes at the surface if you aren't soaking them first (something I'm guilty of). That's all I got--hope someone else has more specific experience.

75-gallon SW tank with 29-gallon sump
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 07:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Most likely, he mistakes the bubbles for food.

I would start feeding them a food that doesn't float. Get them out of the habbit of going to the surface for food. After a few weeks he should kick himself of that habbit. ( although my clowns have their heads completely out of the water begging every time I bring them their food )

Use formula one and two frozen foods. they are a good choice.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 03:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to Spiderman
MYSIS shrimp is also good......I have two clowns and they're really weird critters....
Eclipse system
7# live rock
2 clowns, a royal gramma, a clown goby, and a banggai cardinal
1 cleaner shrimp
blue, red, green crabs
nassarius, astrea, black turbo, margarita snails
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com