percula acting funny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishing

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, one of two perculas is acting funny. Occasionaly, I see him consuming air bubbles from the surface. At times, he has difficulty swimming down as he wants to float back up to the surface. He still eats fine. What kind of behavior is this and can I stop it? I feed them a diet of flake food and brine shrimp.

Since no one else has jumped in here, I will--but hopefully someone more experienced than I am will come along. The food might be an issue--I don't think brine shrimp have much nutritional value. You might consider alternating the flakes with a good frozen food like Formula One. I have a "variety pack" of frozen cubes, as well, and feed cubes and flakes on alternate days. Also, he might be getting air from eathing the flakes at the surface if you aren't soaking them first (something I'm guilty of). That's all I got--hope someone else has more specific experience.

Most likely, he mistakes the bubbles for food.

I would start feeding them a food that doesn't float. Get them out of the habbit of going to the surface for food. After a few weeks he should kick himself of that habbit. ( although my clowns have their heads completely out of the water begging every time I bring them their food )

Use formula one and two frozen foods. they are a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom