Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2005, 01:20 PM   #1

Percula clown won't come down?

I decided to add a percula to round out my tank. True perc from Vanuatu. Really great color and about 2-3 inches. After the acclimation from hell where I dropped him in the sink and dumped him on his head into another container, he is doing okay. Only problem is that he hangs out at the top corner behind a power head. Will he come down eventually and settle in? I don't see nipped fins so I don't think it is an aggression issue from another fish.

75 gallon with 100lbs of rock all levels are great.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For some reason clownfish seem to like to hang out at the top for a while. All the clownfish I have had have done this for a day or two and they slowly start coming down and swimming aroung the whole tank.

Old 09-24-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i think it's a matter of flow and current in the tank. Clowns like it where the water isn't moving much. But the don't like to hang out in the rocks much either. So maybe on top of and behind a powerhead is a place where the water movement isn't much and he likes that.

I dont' know this to be a fact....but IME, this seems to be the case.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:08 PM   #4

Hmmm, I do have a lot of water movement in the tank. I just want to make sure he is not to stressed out. Flame Hawk gives him a hard time every now and then but he has swam around the tank and had a bite of garlic soaked frozen food.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have found that my clownfish love to play in the current not avoid it.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

After the trama of acclimation, it could be just shock. I'd just give it some time.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Give him some time ... He'll come down! Mine did this for about a week and now he surfs the currents between the two powerheads!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is one of the great reasons for QT. Fish get acclimated to "tank life" on their own terms without the stress of enountering unknown fish, etc. The clowns i added when I first started in the hobby stayed at the powerheads for weeks...the clowns I have QT'ed and released into the display have immediately sought out territory amongst the rock/corals/etc.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:44 AM   #9

Well it's day 2 and he still prefers the powerhead but will venture around the tank without too much animosity from the other fish. He is still clean and I don't see any signs of disease. Wierd little fish. I have been in the hobby for 15 years and never kept a percula.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What was your first tank....and what method of filtration did you use? Do you feel the changes in filtration now (liverock, etc.) are easier than before (I ask because there is a cool thread on RC of a 20 year old tank that still uses very old methods).

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, percula

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com