Percula clownfish carpet surfed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tigger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi....One of our two remaining clownfish jumped ship and died on the carpet behind the aquarium. Unfortunately, we didn't know he/she jumped until the next day :cry: We put aquarium cleaning scrubbers over the opening by the filter. Does anyone know why he/she jumped out? We only have 4 fish left.... 1 percula clownfish, royal gramma, butterfly & yellow tang.

Thanks,

Natalie

I'm sorry for your loss.

Does anyone know why he/she jumped out?

Fright and/or irritation from water conditions. There really is no way to tell without having witnessed the jumping.

I think this is fairly common with this fish. I have a false percula clown that abandoned the tank and after searching all over my son found him in our 250 skilter swimming around. Fortunately ours was swimming and healthy( A true Nemo). We returned him to the tank and two months later it is still doing well. Sorry about your loss. Best thing is to ensure all escape routes are blocked.

I personally have lost 3 clowns to this issue in my 45 gal tank. Seems like this happens more when I have a pair than when I have a single clown in the tank. But I dont think my issue is with agression as they are added at the same time and are small and show no real agressive tendancies toward eachother. THen one day ones dry and missing.

I personally have lost 3 clowns to this issue in my 45 gal tank
I have lost 2 of them.. I dont understand why they just jump.. Sorry for your loss..

James

Thank you for the replies. My friends said that maybe he/she watched "Finding Nemo"! My daughter does watch it in the same room. :wink: I think I have all of the escape routes blocked now. The other clownfish seems really lonely now. Would it be ok to buy another one? I originally had three percula clownfish that I bought at the same time and now I'm down to one.

Thanks,

Natalie

You can buy another percula. Just don't let him watch "Finding Nemo"! :lol:

I have read that if you buy another one, make sure it is smaller than the one you have now. The one you have now probably has attained sexual maturity, and a smaller one will be sexually immature. This way, the older, bigger one will be the dominant one, and the smaller one will not challenge that, and they should not fight.

Back
Top Bottom