Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Perculas with ICH

Unfortunately, I added two Perculas to the display tank which developed ich. I removed them from the tank and put them in a temp QT. I lowered the SG to 1.020 and will gradually lower to 1.015.

How long do the Perculas need to remain in the QT with a SG of 1.015 before they can be returned to the main tank?

I know - I know, I should have put them in a QT to begin with but the display tank is in my office with very limited space.

AC 300 HOB
AC 402 Powerhead - AC 301 Powerhead
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
You want to drop it to 1.009 using a refractometer. The swing arm type is not accurate enough for hypo and 1.015 is not an effective hypo treatment. Once you are at 1.009, leave it there for a min of 4 weeks.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am using a refractometer but did not think the Perculas could survive in .009. I also thought that the parasite would be killed quickly in hypo. Bummer! The place that sold me the infected fish said that hypo works in 2-3 days!!!!!

Is there any reason to not use copper treatment in the QT? I think the lfs does it periodically because I've heard them talking about it. Would copper treatment work faster?

I hope the ich does not appear in any of my other fish. Looks like I'm off to a rough start.
AC 300 HOB
Old 07-30-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You should just use cuprimine.It is alot easier than hypo.On the fish and you.1cc per 10 gallons.This tuff works wonders.Check out the seachem website for it.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

big baga,

I stopped at the lfs before I saw your post. They recommended using "Quick Cure" for the fish that are in QT. The package sais that it is for "Fast relief for ick & other parasites" can be used for SW or FW fish. It contains Malachite Green, Formalin. (whatever that is)

I'll check out the Cuprimine that you recommended.

Thanks

EDIT : I checked the Seachem site and it seems that ParaGuard will also kill ick as well as take care of bacterial & viral problems. Is anyone using this product? How about in a new fish QT tank?
AC 300 HOB
Old 07-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ive used paragaurd before it does'nt really kick ich.The only thing that has ever worked is cuprimine.I have also heard of a cuprimine paragaurd mixture.But not quit sure how much to mix.So I would just use cuprimine.I will try to post picks of my fish when they were sick and now 1 week later.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Most of those remedies dont work. The cupramine I heard will work but the best treatment was mentioned earlier was hypo at 1.009. This will kill the ich that is in the QT. But you still have a problem in that you still have ick in your main tank. This must be fishless for 8 weeks to break the life cycle of the parasite. Alot of times you mentioned Quick in your post. Patience is a virtue in this hobby.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Malachite green or formalin won't kill ich. If you go with hypo, your looking at 4 weeks with fish in qt but you still must leave the main tank fishless for at least 6 weeks.

If you go the medicated route, I suggest either Cupramine or CopperSafe, but which ever you use get the appropriate test kit. One is chelated copper sulfate, one non-chelated and each use a specific type of test kit. I use CopperSafe and AP Copper test kit and keep the level between 1.5 - 2 ppm. The fish will be "clean" 2 weeks after you see the last spot on them if the proper copper level is maintained. The main tank still needs to be fishless for at least 6 weeks again.

If you had other fish in the main, they should also be put into qt.

edited: I can't spell...
Old 07-30-2006, 05:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

What about snails, crabs, & shrimp? Do they also need to go in the QT? Aren't all inverts subject to injury from copper? Are inverts subject to ich?
AC 300 HOB
Old 07-30-2006, 06:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
No, inverts are not subject to ich. No need to QT them

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com