Perculas with ICH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Unfortunately, I added two Perculas to the display tank which developed ich. I removed them from the tank and put them in a temp QT. I lowered the SG to 1.020 and will gradually lower to 1.015.

How long do the Perculas need to remain in the QT with a SG of 1.015 before they can be returned to the main tank?

I know - I know, I should have put them in a QT to begin with but the display tank is in my office with very limited space.

You want to drop it to 1.009 using a refractometer. The swing arm type is not accurate enough for hypo and 1.015 is not an effective hypo treatment. Once you are at 1.009, leave it there for a min of 4 weeks.

I am using a refractometer but did not think the Perculas could survive in .009. I also thought that the parasite would be killed quickly in hypo. Bummer! The place that sold me the infected fish said that hypo works in 2-3 days!!!!!

Is there any reason to not use copper treatment in the QT? I think the lfs does it periodically because I've heard them talking about it. Would copper treatment work faster?

I hope the ich does not appear in any of my other fish. Looks like I'm off to a rough start.

You should just use cuprimine.It is alot easier than hypo_On the fish and you.1cc per 10 gallons.This tuff works wonders.Check out the seachem website for it.

big baga,

I stopped at the lfs before I saw your post. They recommended using "Quick Cure" for the fish that are in QT. The package sais that it is for "Fast relief for ick & other parasites" can be used for SW or FW fish. It contains Malachite Green, Formalin. (whatever that is)

I'll check out the Cuprimine that you recommended.

Thanks

EDIT : I checked the Seachem site and it seems that ParaGuard will also kill ick as well as take care of bacterial & viral problems. Is anyone using this product? How about in a new fish QT tank?

Ive used paragaurd before it does'nt really kick ich.The only thing that has ever worked is cuprimine.I have also heard of a cuprimine paragaurd mixture.But not quit sure how much to mix.So I would just use cuprimine.I will try to post picks of my fish when they were sick and now 1 week later.

Most of those remedies dont work. The cupramine I heard will work but the best treatment was mentioned earlier was hypo at 1.009. This will kill the ich that is in the QT. But you still have a problem in that you still have ick in your main tank. This must be fishless for 8 weeks to break the life cycle of the parasite. Alot of times you mentioned Quick in your post. Patience is a virtue in this hobby.

Malachite green or formalin won't kill ich. If you go with hypo, your looking at 4 weeks with fish in qt but you still must leave the main tank fishless for at least 6 weeks.

If you go the medicated route, I suggest either Cupramine or CopperSafe, but which ever you use get the appropriate test kit. One is chelated copper sulfate, one non-chelated and each use a specific type of test kit. I use CopperSafe and AP Copper test kit and keep the level between 1.5 - 2 ppm. The fish will be "clean" 2 weeks after you see the last spot on them if the proper copper level is maintained. The main tank still needs to be fishless for at least 6 weeks again.

If you had other fish in the main, they should also be put into qt.

edited: I can't spell...

What about snails, crabs, & shrimp? Do they also need to go in the QT? Aren't all inverts subject to injury from copper? Are inverts subject to ich?

Aren't all inverts subject to injury from copper?

Copper will, kill inverts. Fishfrik is correct, ich will only host fish.

Back
Top Bottom