Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Performing Hypo in DT. 2 Fish Disapeared

I have an 80 gallon tank with live rock. I had 1 Kole Tang, 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Flasher Wrasse, 1 Clownfish, 1 BiColor Basslet, 1 Yellow Watchmen Goby and 1 Chromis. I didn't Quarantine any of the fish which was a big mistake. The Kole Tang came down with ick. I didn't act quick enough as I wasn't sure what it was and he was dead within 2 weeks. My Yellow Tang started to get white spots on his fin so I started Hypo in the display tank lowering salinity to 1.009 which took about 1 week to get to that number. I moved some of my live rock to a 10 gallon QT I got. That was the biggest I could get as the wife doesn't like the idea of even that one taking up space. I figure when Hypo is done I can move the live rock from QT to seed the remaining rock in the DT. I check parameters every few days and they have been steady at 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrates, 10 nitrates and 8.1 PH. During Hypo I noticed my flasher wrasse started getting white spots. He has since disappeared and haven't seen him in over a week. Now my basslet disappeared for like 4 days now. Guessing there both goners. I have had salinity at 1.009 for 3 weeks now. My Yellow Tang has been cleared of spots for about 1 week now. My Clownfish, Yellow Watchmen Goby and Chromis did not get spots. Any ideas why my 2 fish disappeared? How much longer should I stay with Hypo? Thanks

Old 09-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

try looking for your wrasse at night, i have a yellow tail and he hides in the base during the day.
Scott

Old 09-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I know I don't see him in his usual hiding spot, So I thing he might of died in the rocks. But I'll see tonight if hes around.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Hyposalinity should never be done in the DT as too many creatures will die from the lower salinity.

Have you seen a spike in ammonia?
Any clean up crew still living in the DT.

A tnak must be kept at 1.009 for 4 weeks minimum. I would go 5-6 weeks.

Some more reading for you:
An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro -

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Hyposalinity Treatment
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Unfortunately I didn't know the importance of Quaranting like I do now. Having said that I still was only able to get a 10 gallon QT which would not have fit all my fish. So I was left with no other choice but to do Hypo in DT. Ammonia has stayed at 0 the whole time testing every few days. My only cuc are snails and about half died which I tried to remove the dead ones I could get to. The other half of snails are still going strong. 2 more weeks and I will start raising the salinity.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com