Performing Hypo in DT. 2 Fish Disapeared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

njphin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an 80 gallon tank with live rock. I had 1 Kole Tang, 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Flasher Wrasse, 1 Clownfish, 1 BiColor Basslet, 1 Yellow Watchmen Goby and 1 Chromis. I didn't Quarantine any of the fish which was a big mistake. The Kole Tang came down with ick. I didn't act quick enough as I wasn't sure what it was and he was dead within 2 weeks. My Yellow Tang started to get white spots on his fin so I started Hypo in the display tank lowering salinity to 1.009 which took about 1 week to get to that number. I moved some of my live rock to a 10 gallon QT I got. That was the biggest I could get as the wife doesn't like the idea of even that one taking up space. I figure when Hypo is done I can move the live rock from QT to seed the remaining rock in the DT. I check parameters every few days and they have been steady at 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrates, 10 nitrates and 8.1 PH. During Hypo I noticed my flasher wrasse started getting white spots. He has since disappeared and haven't seen him in over a week. Now my basslet disappeared for like 4 days now. Guessing there both goners. I have had salinity at 1.009 for 3 weeks now. My Yellow Tang has been cleared of spots for about 1 week now. My Clownfish, Yellow Watchmen Goby and Chromis did not get spots. Any ideas why my 2 fish disappeared? How much longer should I stay with Hypo? Thanks

try looking for your wrasse at night, i have a yellow tail and he hides in the base during the day.
Scott

I know I don't see him in his usual hiding spot, So I thing he might of died in the rocks. But I'll see tonight if hes around.

Unfortunately I didn't know the importance of Quaranting like I do now. Having said that I still was only able to get a 10 gallon QT which would not have fit all my fish. So I was left with no other choice but to do Hypo in DT. Ammonia has stayed at 0 the whole time testing every few days. My only cuc are snails and about half died which I tried to remove the dead ones I could get to. The other half of snails are still going strong. 2 more weeks and I will start raising the salinity.

Back
Top Bottom