Ph during hyposalinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apinkmanatee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need your help guys...I made a mistake during a water change that stressed my fish and has caused an outbreak of ich. I am so upset. I am treating the tank with hyposalinity. The water is at 1.009. The ph has always been at 8.4, it recently fell to 8.3. The water I am mixing to put in the tank (Which also started leaking the same day the ich outbreak came, I have three buckets under the tank) has a ph of 7, even with an air stone in it. How can I raise the ph of the water that I am going to put in (as I am losing water somewhat quickly, and don't want to move them right now since they are sick, and I have a newcomer in the qt tank already anyway)? Thanks for your help!

Are you treating your entire tank with hyposalinity? If you are, you've killed all your BB as well. you will need to recycle your tank when the salinity comes back up. As for pH, if it slowly lowers fro 8.4 to even 7.8, your OK. Even slowly lowered below 7.8 should be fine, just not too quickly.

Your bacteria doesnt die in hypo. It just goes into a dormant state. Doing a pwc with fresh mixed sw will kick the bacteria into action again . As far as the ph either use remineralized ro di water or treated tap water and aim the powerheads at the surface . The tap or remoneralized water will help buffer your ph and Alk .

Do you think the fish would be able to stand the stress of moving tanks while they are sick? The new tank is going to have to go where the current one is, so it is going to have to involve moving them into a temporary container while we drain this one, and then getting the new one set up in its place and putting them in it. The fish are two clowns, three blue reef chromis, and one royal gramma. The gramma is acting stressed, not really eating and staying in her cave, although she looks fine physically. The others have shown no signs of stress so far and have been eating and acting fine. I caught the ich pretty early and they were in hypo before they were covered with spots. They have only had a few on them. But the leak seems to be speeding up...I can hardly keep enough water in the tank to keep the equipment on.

They should be fairly calm and mellow if they are in hypo already. Can't say for sure but I don't think you have any options with a leaky tank .

Back
Top Bottom