pH in QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
My pH in my QT is at about 8.0, this has gone down from 8.2/8.3 (I initially filled it with main tank water).

Obviously, I don't want to let it go down any further - since there's no substrate/rocks etc. in my QT, how can I make sure the pH at least stays at 8.0??

I have some Proper pH 8.2 powder - should I add some of that to my QT (is it ok to do so while there are fish in??) to raise the pH to 8.2, and keep it there? How much of the powder should I put in my 15 (uk) gallon QT? It doesn't really say on the tube!

Not sure about this product, but I have had the same problem in my qt tank. I would just use water changes to raise it first. Are you treating with med? That could contribute.
Actually 8,0 is not really bad, what time of the day are you checking? PH is typically lower at night and early in the AM.

If I do a couple of waterchanges and get the pH in the waterchange water to 8.2, how much water can I safely change in my QT so as not to shock the fish?

No meds.

It may be 8.0, it might be a bit lower - you know what these tests are like. It's not TOO bad, but I'd like it higher.

I just checked at 8pm.

I'm with quarryshark on the ph. What concerns me is you said you have substrate or rocks in the qt. Do you have pvc fittings for the bacteria to grow on?

No substrate or rocks, no pvc fittings (a couple of mugs for hiding places, but not pvc).

Internal filter, powerhead.

use agronite it will give you a nice high ph you dont even need to cover the bottom but it whould be better if you did. but depending on the size of qt just put in a few pounds and you should be set

Before I started my QT I was advised not to put substrate or rocks in it :/

I'll monitor the pH over the next few days, and do some waterchanges to increase it, using the proper pH stuff in my waterchange water.

How much can I safely raise the pH by in one waterchange? 0.1? 0.2?

not to shure and i didnt mean to add enough to cover the bottom just pile it in a corner so that it still has its effect but wont harbor anything and also so it can easily be cleaned

I think that if your using or going to use your qt for treating sick fish, then it is imparitive that you dont put any rock, or substrate in, due to the fact that it will soak up the medications. Go bare bottom, with pvc fittings. The more pvc you have, the more area bacteria has to build on. When treating with medication, your biological filter will be destroyed anyway. :wink:

How much can I raise the pH during one waterchange? It's currently at 8.0 (maybe a bit less), and I want to get to 8.2. Can I add 50% new water during a waterchange, with the new water pH being at 8.2, or is that too much of a jump in one go?

You could do a 50% water change, just make sure the temp is the same so you don't shock your fish. Honestly I would go with a series of smaller (like 25-30%) over a course of a couple days. You PH isn't critically low, I would take my time.
Just my opinion.

Okie - so if I set the pH in the new water to 8.2 (as opposed to just below 8.0 in the QT), and do a few 25% water changes, that'll be ok, as long as (of course) I make sure SG and temp are the same?

Water changes are going to be the greatest benefit. If not, monitor the alkalinity and possibley start using a buffer (last resort unless using hyposalinity). I would nix the idea on the aragonite. If you need to treat the tank with copper or the like it will skew the effectiveness and add to your problem. It would be a hassle to remove later as well. Best to learn how to deal with it before it becomes a problem.

Also make sure you are not basing the low pH on an early AM reading, 8.0 is actually not a bad reading. In all honesty, it should not cause issues unless it drops below that. Test the pH in the afternoon and see what you get.

Cheers
Steve

OK, I'm going to do a 50% waterchange in my QT - the new water is at 8.1-8.2 pH, and the QT water is at 8.0.

Is this ok, or is it too big a jump in pH? I've done enough water for a 50% change, so I'd rather do that if at all possible...

As long as pH does not jump more than 0.2 is a short time frame, it will be just fine.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom