Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-28-2004, 03:30 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
You can use a product like algone or rowaphos to remove it from the water.

The snails will only help you keep the algae in check once you get rid of the source.
The products you mention do not get rid of the source either. They simply treat the symptom, not the cause. IMO, don't use chems to combat algae. Skimmers, RO water and water changes are your best regular methods along with not over-feeding. THe tank is only a few weeks old and is likely going through the same algae bloom that most new tanks do. Don't combat this bloom with chems. Get a clean up crew as described above as you'll want one in the tank moving forward anyway. Use manual means to physicaly remove the algae if you feel you have to, I simply let the hermits and snails pick at mine until the tank stabelized and it eventually disappeared all on its own. This is the "easiest" but also one of the slower methods

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 04:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by BillyZ
The products you mention do not get rid of the source either. They simply treat the symptom, not the cause. IMO, don't use chems to combat algae.
Agreed but if you are using tap water and don't have an RO/Unit it helps. That was my problem until I go my RO/DI. I like the way that Algone clears up my water. I was using Rowaphos until I heard people having problems with their acros.

It cleared my Algae up with in about two weeks and I had a huge outbreak of hair algae. Every rock and power head looked like a chia pet. 8O I still do but it is contained within my overflow. Which is a safe haven for my pods. Since I don't have a fuge it works out well 8)

CBRGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I started a new 75 gal tank 2 mos ago with ro water and all the right stuff and still had a algae bloom. There were no phosphates and all other water parameters were good. so I added 5 margarita snails a week till I now have 20 about 5 mexican turbos and some astrea snails and some hermits. That held the algae in check till my yellow tang made it thru qt and now the tank is in great shape without the use of any chemicals.
A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 09:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
I used the Seaclone 100 on my previous reef tank and it worked well for me. It did have a long break-in period. It took about 4-6 weeks before it would stop blowing bubbles into my tank and start collecting goop. Once it was broken in it skimmed like crazy and did a great job. For now I would leave it on the tank but close the air valve all of the way so it will not skim. in a few weeks open up the valve and see if it is still blowing bubbles. If so, close it and wait a bit more. Just use it for water movement. Ohh...WELCOME!! Good luck...Lando
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 12:02 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thank you for the welcome!

I'm using RO water from LFS#1, and did a 15 gallon water change with RO water from LFS#2 today. I also put in four snails, five hermits, and a little piece of live rock with some unidentified coral on it, as well as a small sponge. That piece had a couple of hitchhiker hermits as well. It makes me feel better just to see something move in the tank.

My post water change numbers are:
pH 8.2
NH3 0.10
NO2 0.10
NO3 0.10
Spec Grav 1.024

These numbers were done by LFS#2 using the dry tablets to test with. So....that brings up another question, which is more accurate in general, the dry tablets or the liquid? FWIW, I'm a nurse who is used to reconstituting miniscule amounts of liquid medication that may severely alter a patient's life, so the mechanical aspect to drops vs tabs for measurement really is not a factor......

Hold Anchovies is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com