Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-11-2005, 06:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
PJ cardinal leaned over and died

When I bought my PJ, the LFS guy told me that cardinals as a rule either "end up doing ok, or they die". Mine chose option 2, and has since been offered to my mantis shrimp.

It didn't appear sick, it was eating up until yesterday, then I noticed one slightly clamped fin (caudal) and he was beginning to lean and get pushed around by the current. I threw him in QT right away, where he perked up for a while in the dark and realtive calm. After a short while, he leaned over on the bottom and stayed there, and, then, well, I unleashed the mantis that I had isolated temporarily in a breeding net.

I ony have one other fish in my main tank, a plump Bangghai who seems to be fine - aggressively eating and hungrily investigating my fingertip as it approaches the glass. Of course I'll monitor him carefully each day (for 30 days, right, SEteve-s?!?!?!?)

Ayone know anything about cardinals that would help here, or has anyone experienced this sort of thing before?

Before putting him in QT, I checked him out .. he seemed a bit thin, but there were no spots or cottony patches or little sugar-dots or fungus. I may have done a crappy job acclimating him (but I did drip for about an hour), and I did have a nitrite spike of .3 after added a piece of branch rock to the tank. Nitrite poisoning? Ammonia? (Ammonia was less than .25 when I check the nitrite, and wax 0 12 hours later)

30 gal standard 55 lbs LR, 60 lb live sand, 10 gal sump/refugium. Urchin skimmer, mag7 pump, 3 x 96W PC combination 10,000K/actinic bulb, 2 blue LED moonlights
SG 1.024, temp 79.5, pH 8.4

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

cardinal, die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com