Plate Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimbo7

Aquarium Advice Addict
My mother purchased me a small plate coral about 2-3 inches in diameter yesterday, this morning we noticed small parts of it that look as though it has died. Our first assumption was that something had been eating it but i cant find any information on things that would
Tankmates:
Yellow Tang
Diamond Watchman Goby
2x Osc. Clown
Coral Beauty (Hasnt bothered anything yet)
3x Peppermint Shrimp
Skunk Cleaner
Blue&Red hermits

Will get tank params up soon, thought i would get this pic up first.
img_861626_0_bc3c63b7b2b8616b8e9b1ece0cbf2c52.jpg

Let me know if you need anything else.

Yes get the parameters posted. Just so you`ll know that the Coral beauty is not reef safe. Mine took four years but then went to munching on corals and had to go. This could be your problem but lets see what your water test results yield.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate ~10
SG 1.025 Ill start dropping that tonight
Phosphates 0

All tests are API

I know the coral beauty isn't reef safe, we did a bit of an impulse buy on him (Buy one get one 1/2 off :roll:)... But the first couple days we watched him like a hawk and he didnt go anywhere near my torch or zoas. If he ever does become a problem i am prepared to find him a new home.

Beautiful coral. Be aware that virtually all of your inhabitants may inspect (all fish inspect with their mouths) new additions. Make sure there is adequate flow to keep the tissue flushed :)

Can't really tell what you have it sitting on. Plate corals want to be on the sand bed because of how much their tissue will expand. If it's elsewhere, the tissue could get damaged or irritated from the constant expansion/contraction cycles. But I wouldn't think that would happen in one day.

More likely, it was either damaged during transport or handling between the LFS and your tank... assuming it was OK to start with. If it was fully expanded at the store, you probably wouldn't have seen those areas where the skeleton is sticking through the tissue. (I assume we're talking about those areas at 12, 10, and 7 oclock?)

Not much you can do with it except give it some TLC and small bits of mysis a couple times a week. You don't want too much flow, but if you notice any tissue sloughing off it in those areas you should probably blast it away with a turkey baster.

I think he has it sitting in a plastic container that hangs on the edge of the tank to protect it in case something was nibbling on it. If you drop pieces of mysis in the center is that where it eats? Not really sure how to feed a plate coral? Would soaking in garlic help corals as well or is that only to help fish?

Pat is right, i moved it onto a small hang on QT box to rule out someone munching on it. If its condition is the same in the morning i will move it back to the sand bed and continue to watch it. When i first put it in, it slipped and a bit of it kinda wedged in the sand from the fall. I immediatly took it out and it has been sitting nice on the sand ever since. Ill keep this updated.

Coral Beauties along with most other angels can and will nip at corals. From the pic though it almost looks like somthing was stinging it. Was there anything near it when it was on the sand bed? Something that might have long sweeper tentacles?

There was nothing anywhere close to it, now (4:10pm local) after the lights have been on for a couple hours it seems to have extended its soft tissue over the damaged part to the skeleton. I fed it 5 or 6 mysis (really cool to watch) about 5 min ago so hopefully that will help. It may have been stung by something in the tank at the LFS and my mother didnt notice because the soft tissue was extended out. I will probably keep it in that little QT for another day and if its the same i will put it back on the sand. I really gotta fish out a video camera from my house somewhere and get some videos, the plate coral was really cool to watch eat. Thanks for the help guys!

My coral beauty ate fleshy LPS corals. Brain and hammer coral were the two he destroyed.

Back
Top Bottom