Plate coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmlrussell

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a new plate coral the other day and now it looks like its bleaching what should i do? Its in a 29g tank with a 175w 20k metal halide.

According to LA it likes medium lighting. Is he laying on the substrate? How did you acclimate him. A pic would help.

Long-tentacled, or short?

As melosu58 said, if it's not on sand or fine substrate, it's not going to be happy. And with that intense of lighting, it's definitely going to want to be on the bottom.

Ahh... that's an entirely different coral! I'm guessing "light acclimation" might be the culprit? Too much light, too fast? Depending on the lighting situation it originally came from, maybe move it down lower and slowly bring it up as it gets used to your lights? Just making a guess here though... anyone else?

sorry i dont have a camera. at the store it was under two 24 inch VHOs and it was at the very top of the tank. I dont think its die off because all of the polyps are still open in the white spots.

That's good then, bleaching can be "reversed", die off can't. I'd move it lower in the tank for a while, and slowly move it to where you want it. If you provide it will all the right conditions, it should regain it's zooxanthellea eventually, though it may take anywhere from a week to a few months, IME.

Back
Top Bottom