Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Please check my plan to fight ICH

Hi can somebody please just look over my plan

So in my 40 gallon tank it seems like my clarkii has ich, no spots just some flashing (scratching on the sand)

So I am planning on removing the fish inhabitants which would be 2 clarkii's, 1 lawnmower blenny, and 1 watchman goby and placing them inside a large 15 gallon or so tub which I would be using as a quarantine. I will have 1 sponge filter, heater and besides that simply be checking ammonia levels along with using amquel and water changed to keep the water healthy. Then I will begin hyposalinity for 6 weeks.

As for my display tanks which still has my anemones and all other inverts, I will simply leave it running and feed the hermit crabs/shrimps and anemones and run it same as always.

Is this right everybody? After 6 weeks of hyposalinity in the quarantine tank and fishless display tank I should be clear of ich?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

If they get wite spots ick turn your heater 5 degrees up till it's gone after that turn it back the way it was.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I must say I have no idee how it works with salt water fish and living plants. You have wite ick and a nother one. I know with ick if you heat up your tank with 5 degrees it will go away. What I doint know is how your living plants wil react to that
Old 11-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Increasing temperature does nothing for saltwater ich, unfortunately (except increase your fishes' metabolism lol)

Your plan looks perfect! The hypo is recommended for 4 weeks, but I don't think an extra 2 weeks will harm the fish.

Watch the pH....it tends to go way down.

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hypo is recommended for 4 weeks after the last spot, so 6 weeks is good, then take your time raising the salinity, and watch them for another few weeks to make sure it is gone. By then the tank will have been empty for 8 weeks or more and should be clear. Given that you are using what sounds like a non clear tub, it will be hard to see if there are spots, so definitely do longer time with hypo to be sure (6 weeks).

The fish will be fine in hypo, it is the cycling tank you have to watch, use the amquel and get an ammonia badge. Start with water from the tank so you don't have to acclimate them.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I believe Francis stated that there were no spots... No need to go overboard as there are no studies showing the long term affects of hyposalinity right now. Just saying.

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is a link a moderator on here gave me when ich destroyed my tank, http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/hyposalinity.html

Also, like all4wheels2 said, you haven't seen spots, be sure it is ich before treating as hypo won't treat velvet and other things. Maybe your clown was just clowning around?
Old 11-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyfish View Post

The fish will be fine in hypo, it is the cycling tank you have to watch, use the amquel and get an ammonia badge. Start with water from the tank so you don't have to acclimate them.
Thanks for the advice everybody, I will go ahead and try and get my hands on a clear tank for that purpose as well.

When you say "cycling tank" do you mean my display tank and keeping it fed? Or the quarantine tank and getting it cycled?
Old 11-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis

Thanks for the advice everybody, I will go ahead and try and get my hands on a clear tank for that purpose as well.

When you say "cycling tank" do you mean my display tank and keeping it fed? Or the quarantine tank and getting it cycled?
The DT should be fine, keep it fed but not as much as when the fish were in there. I meant the QT, it will cycle if you did not have an extra filter running in your DT.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh I see, okay I should have a extra filter in my display tank so I will be sure to bring that over. Thanks for the reminder , I forgot about that because I didn't imagine the filter being able to handle the load in the quarantine tank

Tags
fight, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com