Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2004, 07:24 PM   #11
jmc
Aquarium Advice Regular

I do not use a glass lid on my tank. My sump was recently converted from wet/dry using bioballs to a DIY 'live sump'. I noticed no significant water parameter changes post conversion to a live sump w/exception of Nitrates dropping to very low levels.

Ph always seems a steady 8.2 so I'm not sure what the problem is but I will try the water changes and hope for the best.

I've attempted to post a picture of my tang for a visual of the physical symptoms.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:08 PM   #12
steve-s

Looks like a combination of issues. The fins themselves look "munched" not truely worn from water quality. The yellow will definately be better off in a larger tank and the amount of fish will definately add stress thereby reducing all the fish's health to some degree but I'd definately keep tabs on the CBS.

The tang also appears to have quite a thin belly. What do you feed it and how often?

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-08-2004, 08:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anemones require high water quality and if he is not healthy it is another sign of a water quality issue. In a 7 month old tank you should have 0- ammonia. When was your last water change.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:33 AM   #14
jmc
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm doing 10% water changes about every two weeks. Replacing evaporation with RO/DI water (about 1/2 gal/day).

I may need a new amonia test kit as mine has never zero'd out and never gone above the .25 coloration.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:05 PM   #15
jmc
Aquarium Advice Regular

Forgot to answer Steve-S's question about feeding...

I'm feeding the following: frozen brine shrimp, frozen veggie/seafood with caulerpa algea, some flake, and green seaweed from a clip.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:13 PM   #16
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc
I'm feeding the following: frozen brine shrimp, frozen veggie/seafood with caulerpa algea, some flake, and green seaweed from a clip.
Nix the brine and opt for mysis or a homemade preparation. The usuable protein in adult brine isn't worth mentioning, basically empty calories. Be sure when feeding meaty foods they are augmented (soaked) with a good marine vitamin whenever possible. Tangs are primarily herbavors but supplimental proteins are good for them.

As far as the seaweed in the clip, try making sure you have some for the tang to graze on continually if you haven't already. They have very high metabolisms and require a bit more than your regular fish.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-10-2004, 08:39 AM   #17
jmc
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks to everyone for thier input and help. I've learned much about water quality and feeding to maintain healthy fish and I just might be able to turn things around w/o any more fish dying (none so far). I'll keep you posted...

Best,

JMC
Old 11-10-2004, 02:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Your on your way!!

Tags
dead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com