Please Help - 1 fish dead, others not looking good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I woke up and found that one of my firefish had died and my other fish, mainly my yellow tang aren't looking healthy. Their fins seem to be in tatters - almost like they are picking at each other but I've been watching for signs of this and have seen nothing. My remaining firefish looks OK, but clown and chromis have eroded fins as well, but not as bad as the tang. The tang also appears to have whitish areas as well as a hint of red near its dorsal fin.

Water parameters tested good. Any thoughts and recommendations how to save my remaining fish??

Many Thanks,

JMC

What are the water parameter, including the PH? How long have they been in there ?

Sounds liek you may need to double check your test kit, if everyone is looking rough may have some water quality issues.

Please Help - 1 dead, other's not looking too good!!

Posted on the 'Fish Only' forum as well:

I woke up and found that one of my firefish had died and my other fish, mainly my yellow tang aren't looking healthy. Their fins seem to be in tatters - almost like they are picking at each other but I've been watching for signs of this and have seen nothing. My remaining firefish looks OK, but clown and chromis have eroded fins as well, but not as bad as the tang. The tang also appears to have whitish areas as well as a hint of red near its dorsal fin.

Water parameters tested good. Any thoughts and recommendations how to save my remaining fish??

Many Thanks,

JMC

I moved this Thread to the sick fish forum.

You could have a velvet outbreak. Hard to tell right now.

Do you have a QT?

Also what are your specific test results?

Sorry to hear. :(

And if the water really is okay, have you added anyone new? A bacterial infection could be the culprit, too--that has been my experience with red spots in freshwater, at least. I hope not, though--those are hard to knock, IME.

I would suspect water quality issues. May want to double check you results by taking a sample to your LFS. What are the readings? Especially PH and ammonia.

How long has the tank been up. Like the others, water quality issues and I would also ask if you have added anything to the tank that could have introduced a bacterial infection?

My tank is 7 months old. Test kit I'm using is Aquarium Pharmeceuticals - Saltwater Master for Ph, Amonia, Nitrate. I double checked the following:

Ph = 8.2
Amonia = .25 or less (same as always post cycle)
Nitrate = 0-5.0

I have added a red-lipped blenny (1.5 months ago) and a pink tipped anemone a couple of weeks ago which is being picked on by a peppermint shrimp and does not seem happy in my tank. It probably needs a new home.

The Blenny does stir up the substrate quite a bit but otherwise I observed no negative effects on his tank mates after introducing him. I'm uncertain as to what effects or emmissions an unhappy/unhealthy anemone may have...

I do not have a QT.

Thanks for moving this thread into this forum and for any further guidance.

From my experience with Yellow Tangs, it sounds like an ammonia problem. I had a very similar problem and did several water changes to fix the problem. Also, do you have glass lids? If so, open them up a little so the PH can stabilize. Other than that, you can use a product such as Selcon and soak it in their food to help build the immunity of your existing fish in there. Tangs are very sensitive to water quality. HTH

Mike

I do not use a glass lid on my tank. My sump was recently converted from wet/dry using bioballs to a DIY 'live sump'. I noticed no significant water parameter changes post conversion to a live sump w/exception of Nitrates dropping to very low levels.

Ph always seems a steady 8.2 so I'm not sure what the problem is but I will try the water changes and hope for the best.

I've attempted to post a picture of my tang for a visual of the physical symptoms.

Looks like a combination of issues. The fins themselves look "munched" not truely worn from water quality. The yellow will definately be better off in a larger tank and the amount of fish will definately add stress thereby reducing all the fish's health to some degree but I'd definately keep tabs on the CBS.

The tang also appears to have quite a thin belly. What do you feed it and how often?

Cheers
Steve

Anemones require high water quality and if he is not healthy it is another sign of a water quality issue. In a 7 month old tank you should have 0- ammonia. When was your last water change.

I'm doing 10% water changes about every two weeks. Replacing evaporation with RO/DI water (about 1/2 gal/day).

I may need a new amonia test kit as mine has never zero'd out and never gone above the .25 coloration.

Forgot to answer Steve-S's question about feeding...

I'm feeding the following: frozen brine shrimp, frozen veggie/seafood with caulerpa algea, some flake, and green seaweed from a clip.

jmc said:
I'm feeding the following: frozen brine shrimp, frozen veggie/seafood with caulerpa algea, some flake, and green seaweed from a clip.
Nix the brine and opt for mysis or a homemade preparation. The usuable protein in adult brine isn't worth mentioning, basically empty calories. Be sure when feeding meaty foods they are augmented (soaked) with a good marine vitamin whenever possible. Tangs are primarily herbavors but supplimental proteins are good for them.

As far as the seaweed in the clip, try making sure you have some for the tang to graze on continually if you haven't already. They have very high metabolisms and require a bit more than your regular fish.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks to everyone for thier input and help. I've learned much about water quality and feeding to maintain healthy fish and I just might be able to turn things around w/o any more fish dying (none so far). I'll keep you posted...

Best,

JMC

Back
Top Bottom