Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via AIM to JMarino1017
Please help!!!!!

Hello All,

I'm frantic right now so i'm sorry if this comes across as a bit of a mess but i woke up this morning and found that 75% of my sps coral look as though thier polyps have been removed. you can see some color in some of the pieces however most of the pieces look almost white. the water also has what seems to be a haze to it.

As for my soft and lps they haven't opened at all but they don't look as bad as the SPS do.

Yesterday everything looked great as always then overnight this happens. I haven't done anything different lately and i dont know what to do.

The tank is 75 Gallons with a 15 gallons sump. i keep temp at asteady 77, i have two 400 watt 20,000 k metal halides (i know its overkill but they have been doing great for the past 6 months with it). all the equipment is working great (skimmer, phosphate reactor, pumps and powerheads)

As for maintence, i do a 20 gallon water change every week with brightwell salt and i dose my tank accordingly.

I really am at a loss here and have no idea what happened. if anyone can offer any advice or information that would be much appreciated.

I did a water change this morning; approx 30 percent changed out. Before I did a water change i took a sample to have tested.

Parameters are as follows:

Salt - .024
Phosphate - Undetectable
Ammonia - Undetectable
Nitrate - Undetecctable
Nitrite - Undetectable
PH 8.4
Alk - 8.5 DKH
Calcium - 375 ppm
Magnesium - 1170 ppm

The owner of the store where the water was tested had said to check the equipment that maybe the tank has electrical current running through it. He also advised that if the corals have cavities where the polyps should be that i should remove them from the tank (not sure what to do here as I’m getting mixed opinions)

After the water change and a few hours of the lights being on the LPS have yet to open and my zoas are closed. I'm scratching my head here and have no idea what to do at this point.

All my equipment seems to be fine so i don’t think there is any electrical current going on.

I know and understand that doing too much is not a good thing but I fear that if I dont do enough tomorrow morning will be worse than this morning.

Please Help

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chili Pepper.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	28933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Green Milli.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	28934  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Purple Acro.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	28935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Purple Rim.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	28936  

JMarino1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Check your temperature, sometimes if it drops to low(below 70) SPS will die!

ajm99835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
if your sps has color still, they are not dead.
i don't know why you would remove sps colonies with retracted polyps. it would kill them. this is not a parasite issue like AEFW or red bugs. that would take time to happen. it's a water parameter issue, or possibly an electricity issue, although i am leaning towards some sort of parameter swing. alk would be my first thought.
how long after the last water change did this happen? you know, no matter the brand, all salts are inconsistent, due to settling.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com