Please help!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMarino1017

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,

I'm frantic right now so i'm sorry if this comes across as a bit of a mess but i woke up this morning and found that 75% of my sps coral look as though thier polyps have been removed. you can see some color in some of the pieces however most of the pieces look almost white. the water also has what seems to be a haze to it.

As for my soft and lps they haven't opened at all but they don't look as bad as the SPS do.

Yesterday everything looked great as always then overnight this happens. I haven't done anything different lately and i dont know what to do.

The tank is 75 Gallons with a 15 gallons sump. i keep temp at asteady 77, i have two 400 watt 20,000 k metal halides (i know its overkill but they have been doing great for the past 6 months with it). all the equipment is working great (skimmer, phosphate reactor, pumps and powerheads)

As for maintence, i do a 20 gallon water change every week with brightwell salt and i dose my tank accordingly.

I really am at a loss here and have no idea what happened. if anyone can offer any advice or information that would be much appreciated.

I did a water change this morning; approx 30 percent changed out. Before I did a water change i took a sample to have tested.

Parameters are as follows:

Salt - .024
Phosphate - Undetectable
Ammonia - Undetectable
Nitrate - Undetecctable
Nitrite - Undetectable
PH 8.4
Alk - 8.5 DKH
Calcium - 375 ppm
Magnesium - 1170 ppm

The owner of the store where the water was tested had said to check the equipment that maybe the tank has electrical current running through it. He also advised that if the corals have cavities where the polyps should be that i should remove them from the tank (not sure what to do here as I’m getting mixed opinions)

After the water change and a few hours of the lights being on the LPS have yet to open and my zoas are closed. I'm scratching my head here and have no idea what to do at this point.

All my equipment seems to be fine so i don’t think there is any electrical current going on.

I know and understand that doing too much is not a good thing but I fear that if I dont do enough tomorrow morning will be worse than this morning.

Please Help

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• Chili Pepper.jpg
    Chili Pepper.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Green Milli.jpg
    Green Milli.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Purple Acro.jpg
    Purple Acro.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Purple Rim.jpg
    Purple Rim.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 159
Check your temperature, sometimes if it drops to low(below 70) SPS will die!

if your sps has color still, they are not dead.
i don't know why you would remove sps colonies with retracted polyps. it would kill them. this is not a parasite issue like AEFW or red bugs. that would take time to happen. it's a water parameter issue, or possibly an electricity issue, although i am leaning towards some sort of parameter swing. alk would be my first thought.
how long after the last water change did this happen? you know, no matter the brand, all salts are inconsistent, due to settling.

Back
Top Bottom