Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Please help!

Just bought a regal tang about 8 hours ago, have been out for the evening and left the lights off in the aquarium, just came home and turned the lights on to find the tang nearly White in colour and looking pretty scared, there is nothing in the tank that could be bullying it, is this normal?!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How big is the tank? Tangs are stressed very easily....is he swimming or anything or is he hiding?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The tank is 57 gallon (US) we bought a very small tang, it's just over an inch long. It is swimming around, did a water check and everything is fine.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would leave the lights down for awhile. When I put in my tangs they did mellow alot in color but within a day or so they came back to full color.

I hope youre aware that the recommended size for a blue tang is 180 gallons or at least a six foot tank. The smaller tank can stress them very easily, small or not. They literally spend their day swimming back and forth.

do you have plans for an upgrade soon?
Old 08-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1. At least a six foot tank for one. You should be fine with a 125g if you you upgrade.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry I've only got back to you both, have gad a very busy week, thank you both for your input, we shall eventually get a 6ft tank to better accommodate our tang and other fish that need more swimming space before we purchase them

I think the initial stress of moving from the lfs and being put into a new environment was the main cause of colour (color!) loss, but as the week has gone on it has really perked up, is best buddies with the clown pair, a big relief!

It lives brine shrimp and mysis but seems to be totally oblivious to the algae wafers I put in there for it!
Old 08-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For the tang.. Strips of nori and dried seaweeds are best. I personally think the veggie clips that suction cup to the side of your tank are the easiest. These fish are herbivores that are not going to be at optimal health unless they have veggie based diets. Our tang gets a small sheet almost daily to pick at through the day.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did I write algae, sorry I meant to say seaweed but is seriously not interested, will look for other veggie based foods!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try spinach and broccoli and peas and Nori,don't clip it,just cut it up into tiny bite sized pieces and toss it in ..Also tangs do need some meat in there diet ,,krill,scallops ,table shrimp..I feed my tank all of the above ,plus many other greens and meats
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so I have just Worked out that we have a 68 gallon tank not a 57 as I was staring the uk gallon conversion of 260litres!! So it is bigger then I stated!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com