Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2003, 12:09 PM   #1
len
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

please help!

hello ppl........have a sick purple tang for sometimes ....it looks like white spots but more like big white patches on the body of this tang!,.....it swims and eat normal......now most of the fish got it, blue face angel. emperor , gramma etc......been treating them with garlic for many weeks but situation getting worse!!.......change water few times. add bacteria vitamins etc! please help!

amm- 0
nitrite-0
nitrate- 50mg
ph-8.0
ca- 390mg

Old 01-30-2003, 12:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to troutman11111
sorry to here this, i use a u.v.sterilizer 2 days before and 4 days after i add any fish. ich only hit me once, red flame angle started it,because i put him in the tank from the fish store.my purple tang got it and so did the red flame. thats when i bought the u.v. sterilizer,hooked it up and wow the ich started to be going away, the red flame did die,bad fish. my purple is still with me today. garlic is good from what i here but never tried it. i may have got lucky with my ordeal, but i swear by my u.v.sterilizer. hope someone else can help out. walt

75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
troutman11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 02:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
i think that the U.V. sterilizer does help out alot. because i had the same experience with my two tomato clowns when i first added them. i turn on the UV sterilizer for about 2 days and it was gone right away. buy just make sure that all your tank parameters are doing ok because a big swing in the temp, Ph or something can cause ich. you may want to start a quarentine tank also and place your new fish in there before you add them to your tank in the future. i hear this helps alot. but just my opionion. hope you don't loose any fish. good luck
Old 01-30-2003, 03:36 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
If you put your infected fish in a qtank you could treat it with coppersafe. That will kill the ick. DO NOT treat your main tank with coppersafe. It is only for fish. Inverts and corals dont like it at all.

Kribbz, what kind of uv sterilizer do you have. Why dont you run them alll the time? are you not suppose to??
Old 02-02-2003, 03:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
i have a clear water UV. it came with the tank. i don't run mine all the time because i have heard that it is not to good. alot of people say that it kills the harmfull bacteria in your tank but at the same time kills alot of the benificial bacteria as well so i just find if there is a problem like ick or something i will run it for a day or two, pretty much clears it up. but maybe i'm just lucky.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to troutman11111
i agree with that also. it does kill good bact, but hey a couple of days is worth it to me if i can save a 100.00 fish. makes 2 of use lucky then. i have the 9watt DoubleHelix u.v. with a powercompact u.v. lamp, from customsealife. 79.00 8)
75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
troutman11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:17 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I really want to get a Doublehelix. Just dont have the cash right now, but anyway, Does anyone have anymore suggestions for len?
Old 02-03-2003, 11:34 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I may have missed it in all the posts, but I have not seen mention of raising the tank temp to about 82 degrees. Also, what size is this tank? Could it be overcrowding that is stressing the fish?

btw, we run our 36 watt doublehelix 24/7 and have not had any issues. If it were killing off all the good bacteria, I think we would have seen some problems by now. Have also had some insane coral growth since it has been running.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com