Please help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardinal

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi i have a 70galln reef....
runnin for 3 month..
1x flame angel
1x yellow tang
2x clowns

My flame angels fins are fallin apart...
every fin is a lot shorter and split overnight !!!
he is hiding and not feeding either...
i have never seen any trouble with the fish...ever !!
they all get along fine !
i have recently dosed exodin for ich..and this is the only thing i have done that is different !
all other fish are fine..and NO sign of ich now !!
corals r lookin great too !!
water parameters are perfect !
i dont really want to take the angel out of the tank to cause more stress !
Cheers
Confused )

hay i have a coral angel and it did the same thing for some odd reason. and my water was perfect also. the way i fixed is feeding flakes soaked with selcon and this did wonders for me. mine also looses color in part of his tal fin for some reason and does it still to this day and it will last for about and day and then hes back to normal. just make sure nothing is bothering it and besides feeding selcon i cant tell you anything else to do with him. i hope it gets better for ya.

almost for got if it does not look fungul or some parasite eating away at your fish. then you could try some garlic, many types when fish get stressed by something they can do exactly what your talking about. it would be good if you could post a pic then i sure someone on here could help ya out.

sadly he died this morning....
weird how in 1 night he could get so sick...all the others are fine !
Thanks for help though...i believe flame angels are the most difficult to keep ..
I will not get another
cheers

ya it can be hard to find one that will do well in home reef but if you can get one to live for a few month then your usually out of the dying mode just because its not use to the tank parameters. well that stinks that he died i have a coral beauty and they are pretty cool looking and easy to keep and they vary in color for each individual and are really easy to keep after you get them use to the tank and then they tend not to stress so long as your tank stays the same without changes

My experience with Flame Angels is having a matured tank (6 months or better), lots of LR for grazing and hiding, and good water quality. These are gorgeous specimens, but can be difficult to keep under certain conditions.
Also, just to create another angle to this madness, I had a powerhead go bad on me and didn't realize it was putting out stray voltage. My Yellow Tang died last year as a result. I'm not saying this is what caused the Flame's fins to fall apart, but this could be a potential problem that is not visible.

Mike

Thanks for the input....
i wanna replace him with another angel....
any ideas ??
i may go for a coral beauty ...not sure yet..
the wife loves cream angels and she is pushing for 1 of them lol
i will let you know wot we decide on !

Coral Beauty's and Bi-Color Angels are nice as well, but I have yet to find a decent one as it appears they don't ship well and don't last long. Since your tank has only been up for a few months, I would hold off for a bit before adding an Angel. Of course this just my opinion.

Mike

ok mike....
thanks for the advice...
i will hold off the angel like you said..
gonna get a royal gramma or something
Cheers

I had a keyhole angel which is a pretty fish. I had it for several years before it started developing a taste for corals. He had to go. Found someone with a fish only tank that took him. This is a problem sometimes with angels. They dont start off eating corals but sometime later they might. Good Luck

hey all...
we decided to get a royal gramma
i gonna take your advice and hold off the angels....
shame really cause they sure r pretty )
cheers

In time when your system is established, you will thank yourself later for it. This is the worst part about having a SW tank..the waiting game. If you have patience, you will be successful though. 8)

Mike

Back
Top Bottom