PLEASE help...clown was hit by frogspawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So today I put in a 2 headed frogspawn and it opened up right away. After doing some rock work I decided that it was time to close up the tank and turn everything back on. During that second my clown (mr wiggles) decided to check out the frogspawn (at the same time I was about to plug in the powerhead and filter). I saw him jolt up to the top of the tank bounce off the glass and dive into the sand face first (he was waist deep in the sand motionless for about 2 mins. I went to get a net to see if he was alive and he shot up and started flying around the tank. After a few more minutes, he hid behind a rock.

A few hours went by (I thought he was ok) and I walked past the tank and saw him floating in the current, then get stuck on the powerhead. I got him off the PH but I couldnt get him off the sand (he is in a edge). While I was trying to get him up, the shrimp was poking at him (the shrimp ripped off a piece of his left fin). I really started to get crazy so I went in and grabbed em.

I have him in a 5g bucket with half tank water and half fresh salt water. What should I do at this point? I'm not comfortable putting him back in the tank with the shrimp (I feel like hes going to kill him). How long before he recovers from this? Should I give it a few hours, a day, few days? Please any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

He just sounds like he was stunned. The shrimp was just doing what he is supposed to do. I would go ahead and add him back in.

I did put him back, and I went to work. When I came back he seemed fine. I got all the stuff together for the ATO system so I started putting everything together. While I was working on the tank it happened again, but he was no where near the frogspawn this time, and he died. I don't know what happened, but I'm starting to think it could be electrical. The only weird part is everything else is fine, nothing else is showing signs of stress. I really don't know whats going on right now.

I'm starting to think this could be electrical? I don't understand why nothing else in the tank would show signs though...any thoughts?

I have heard of clown fish doing this dive technique at very very baby early stages of their lives when they are going to die just one of those things unfortunately, my guess would be the frogspawn sting was too much and your clown hadn't built the immunity slime coat to the toxins.
Sorry :(

Well I picked up an other clown from the breeder. It's a little bigger then the last but it's really nice looking. I would say its about an inch and a half. I just put em in and I'll have the lights off till tomorrow morning. Hopefully everything goes well. Mr wiggles was an crazy fish...hopefully this one has a personality like wiggles.

is your heater cracked
I electrocuted one of mine once not knowing heater leaked now I run GFI outlets just for that reason

Wouldn't that effect everything else in the tank though? I have corals and inverts in the tank too and they're not showing any signs of stress.

Back
Top Bottom