Please help!!! Disease? What's going on....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, so there's enough flow. Still have no idea why my fish died. Anyway, should I treat the tank now with anything, or just keep the levels and temp and salinity good and wait it out?

I would lower the salinity to 1.009 and raise the temp to 82 and let it go fallow (fishless) for 8 weeks. You will want to add a pinch of food about once or twice a week to keep the beneficial bacteria alive.

But won't that low of a salinity level kill all the invertebrae in my live rock? And what type of food? I have frozen and dried crill, dried brine shrimp, and veggie flakes.

scsc2323 said:
But won't that low of a salinity level kill all the invertebrae in my live rock?
Possibly. Any food when it decays will provide an ammonia source. Let me correct myself, if you are leaving it fallow, for 8 week, the ich should die off, and you can keep your salinity at 1.024, sorry, I was thinking it was your QT and not your main and you still had a fish.
Fishless for 8 weeks, normal salinity and temp.

Great, I will do that. Thank you so much for your help. Any preventative measures for the future?

A QT is the best precaution (place your new fish in there and observe for 3-4 weeks before adding them to your main) also the selection of fish vs. the size of your tank.

Thank you again. I will get a QT tank going and make sure I do that. :D

Great! Keep us updated. What is your plan for your main tank?

I just did a small water change, and am going to maintain 80 degrees in the tank, along with raising the salinity to 1.023 and maintaining it there. I'll run it this way, fishless for 8 weeks, doing a few water changes in between. I'm also going to get a QT up and going to make sure I do it right next time! Sound ok?

Sounds like the plan for a very beautiful and flourishing tank.

Great! Thanks again. I'll keep you updated in the future on my progress. -Suzanne

Back
Top Bottom