Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Please help!!! Disease? What's going on....

I am very new to saltwater tanks. I set mine up and bought an angel and a dog face puffer. Due to being ill informed, my tank started to cycle, and I had to bring my fish to a local pet store. So I cycled my tank over the next 4 or 5 weeks with live rock, live sand, and crushed coral. All my levels were perfect, and I had my water checked professionally numerous times. It was now time to bring my fish home. After about 3 days, my angel was lying on the bottom of the tank, breathing slowly, and occasionally having some sort of spasm. It eventually just stopped breathing and died. And it died pretty quickly. I checked the levels again, and all of them were fine. The puffer appeared ok just fine and was eating well. 3 weeks later, my puffer starting looking very stressed, becoming ALL black and hanging out at the top of the tank. I have been doing water changes and checking my levels religiously. 2 nights ago, my puffer did the same thing the angel did, and died as well. Does anyone know why this could have happened? Any help would be appreciated, as I would love to have fish in the tank I have spent so much time on. Thanks!

(I think my puffer developed ich in his last stages, but from what I've read, I think something else killed him)

Old 04-18-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

One thing people learn quickly in this hobby, patience is a virtue. There are numerous websites and magazines available for you to read and educate yourself. How large is this tank and please tell us how it is set up

Old 04-18-2007, 10:21 PM   #3

It is a 46 gallon bow tank. I cycled the tank for over a month using uncured live rock, live sand, and crushed coral. Like I said, I was misinformed in the beginning, but immediately took the fish out in the beginning when I saw a problem with ammonia. In addition to the rock and sand and coral, I have two 30 gallon filters running (aqua clear I think, with carbon), and a protein skimmer. All my levels, even with the fish, have remained fine. With the fish dead, I checked the levels, and they still are fine. I use a liquid test kit. Nitrites are at 0ppm, Ammonia is at 0ppm, PH is 8.2, Nitrates are at 10ppm, the salinity is 1.021. I maintain a temp of 80 degrees.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Here is a bit of reading material for you: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

Did you acclimate the fish? Dogface puffers, Arothron nigropunctatus, grow large and need at least a 125g. What angel did you purchase?
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

IMO the puffer died from ick brought on from stress of being in a too small tank. They need a 100 gallon + tank. Alot of times fish can stay free of the parasite if they are stress free. Too small a tank will cause stress. I believe both of your fish got ick in the tank they came from while your tank cycled. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but thats why it is good to research all fish before you get them. Sorry

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:24 PM   #6

I bought the puffer from Petco, and they had him for over 2 months. He was in a tank a quarter size of mine, and when he died, he was not much larger than 4". Buy when I bought him, I was told my tank size was large enough. Again, misinformed. Since I had a new tank, I knew it was most likely disease free. I truly believe that while I was cycling, the fish did develop a sickness from the pet store I kept them at. And the tank they were in at the pet store while my tank cycled was not even 10 gallons. Either way, even though I was told from numerous so-called professionals that my puffer would not die from ich, he did die. So now that my fish are dead, and the tank is empty, where do I go from here? I have upped the temp to 85 degrees to get rid of the ich hosts, and have also lowered the salinity. What steps do I take from here to be able to bring in a new fish. By the way, yes, I did acclamate the fish before putting them in the tank.

Also, I don't know the name of the angel, but it was bi-colored....yellow and bluish purple. A half and half mix. I can post pics of my tank as it is now if need be.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You`ll need to keep your main fishless for 8 weeks to break the life cycle of the parasite.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 04-18-2007, 11:37 PM   #8

Ok, I can do that. I have been patient this long. But it's hard for me to believe that a larger puffer died from ich though. I understand he did have it at the end. But will running my DT for 8 weeks get rid of any other diseases that might harm a new healthy fish? And is it most definite that the ich killed the puffer, or a secondary bacterial infection? Or an infection that he had to begin with, that caused the stress, that led to ich, and then his death? Also, my live rock have many "creatures" in them, so is there an invertebrae safe treatment I can use to help this along a bit?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:52 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

No IMO just fishless for eight weeks. IMO ich is in the tank and needs the life cycle broken by going eight weeks without fish . Here are a few links on it.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 04-19-2007, 12:04 AM   #10

Ok, I'll go 8 weeks without fish. Anything at all I should do in additon to that? I have checked numerous websites, even the ones you have listed. I'm dumbfounded as to why this has happened and can't get any other answer other than ich...which shouldn't have killed my puffer so quickly. I am treating the tank now with kick ich, which says is safe for invertebraes. Still, the eight weeks? You really believe nothing else infectied the fish to make them die so quickly?

Tags
disease

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com