Please Help-fish OK but can't keep Coral or cleanup crew.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccblazer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I will start with the problem and list the data below.
I have a 30 gall. aquarium and have healthy fish but cannot keep corals (soft) more than a day before they flop over, or a cleaning crew more than a day or 2 before they die. That includes snails, emerald crabs and even hermit crabs which might live several days. i have tried twice with the invertebrate and twice with a cleaner shrimp. Dies within one day both times. Sounds like there is a major problem here but I don't know what it is as levels seem good. Here are the specifics.

1. Tank is saltwater 4 months old now. Tall tank at 27" tall by 28" wide.
2. Lighting is T5 HO only 3 months old.
3. Nitrate: 2.5 max.
4. Calcium: 20 mg/l
5. Phosphate: .12 mg./l
6. Alkalinity: 140 ppm
7. pH: 8.2
8. Salinity: 1.025
9. Temperature: 77 Fahrenheit
10. Liquid or strip test kits: test kits.
11. Location in tank: coral upper level
12. Current amount of flow: don't know.
13. Current tank dosing regimen: some cycle and some bio support
14. Nearby coral: none
15. Explanation of problem: see above.
I have 2 powerheads 450 each.

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
KH 12 dKH
0 copper

Did you buy the tank used? We're there ever any meds used in the tank? How many t5 bulbs? How long is the tank. Seems like not a lot of flow for such a tall tank

Current tank dosing regimen: some cycle and some bio support
stop ........

why are you dosing?

if your tank is cycled correctly you don't need any additives

your salt has everything you need

I see that as the problem

I would prob add a 3rd power head in center rear blowing forward
one front left blowing across to left rear
one right rear blowing across to left front
that should cover all your dead spots

will try your ideas but...

I put very little dosage of either in the water but i will stop. it has cycled properly. i thought of adding a 3rd power head and i will try that but do you think that is the cause? i thought it would be something more.

Tank is new and no meds were ever introduced. The tank is 28" tall and I have 2x 24" bulbs. One white and one blue. Should I add the 3rd head or try something else ?

I'd add more light. That's a super deep tank and minimum light for corals. Doesn't explain the inverts though

coral is dying.

i don't believe its the light. When i first put the leather coral in the tank some tentacles start to come out. but within 3 hours later it starts to flop over. now it is starting give off thin layers of spider web like material. I tried lowering the tank's temperature with no results. Then i changed the direction of the power head to hit it directly. just getting worse now. It has been this way from the beginning. i am beginning to think i am going to have a fish only tank. It's not what i want. hopefully you guys come up with something.

Are you using rodi water? Also maybe a dumb question but how do you clean the glass of your tank? Exterminator come to spray for bugs?

I will test again.

I am using 4x filtered water system. No exterminator. I use a magnet cleaner. None of these things seem to be it. I use instant ocean. What else can I test for? I will redo all tests tonight and see what I get. Do you think the tank didn't cycle properly? And even if it didn't would it even matter after 4 months?

I would probably test again and do a bunch of small water changes over a week. I would also take some water to your LFS and have them test as well. Maybe you have a faulty test kit. Something obviously isnt right...

Back
Top Bottom