Please help!!! My Flame Angel Is Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

143gadgets

Aquarium Advice Activist
i rearranged the rocks this morning an he seemed fine. Now he is in the tank in his cove lying on his side. he shows no signs of ick but i think he is dying. What should i do? Ammonia=0 Nitrite=0.25 Nirate=20 I also for the first time added one cap full of kent's liquid calcium today. Is that the problem?

Why did you move the rocks around? Just curious?
If it's not broke don't fix it...

As for your Flame, don't know what to say...
All parameters look fine...
The Ca wouldn't be the problem...

Hope he pulls through...
did a rock fall on him maybe?

How long has he been in the system? Qt used? Give us some history please.
There are parasites that show no pysical signs before hitting.

No i didn't qt him i know it was stupid but i took a chance. he ahs been there for about 4 days. he was happy the day before i changed the rocks. all the other fish in the tank are fine. I took him out of the main and put him in the 20gal. he survived the night and is still laying on his side. I am clueless on what to do.

When did you add the damsels? and YES they could very well be picking on the angel.
Did you add all three at the same time?
It could be an overload on the bio filter. You should wait several weeks between each fish addition.

Any time you change the environment the fish is going to be stressed.
1. Removed from tank and brought home
2. Acclimated and placed in main tank
3 Added 2 damsels
4. Moved rocks around
5. Moved to 20 gal QT

That's a lot of stress on a fish.

OK, any other signs..spots, abrasions, cloudy eyes, rapid gilling?
Did he ever eat for you?
I would set up a 10 gallon QT tank and isolate him (if you can).
Will wait on you reply as for the other symtoms.
Are the other fish OK? Eating?

I just read in another thread that your tank is only a month old and it just finished cycling. If that is the case, you may have added too much livestock too quickly. In a young tank, livestock needs to be added very slowly to allow the natural biological filtration time to catch up with the new bioload. If you are exceeding the biofiltration capabilities of your tank it is very hard for it to catch up with the new demand. I noticed your nitrites are .25. Ideally, they should be at zero, along with ammonia. Keep testing parameters and be prepared to do a water change as needed. Putting in some more cured LR may help boost the biological filter a bit. If there is anyway to decrease the bioload for a couple more weeks that would be best. See if the LFS can hold your fish for you. IME, any of the dwarf angels are a pretty hardy addition to the aquarium, however, they tend to be hard to acclimate. I am bettting that many here (including myself) have purchased Flames or Coral Beautys only to have them die within 5 days with no warning. Good luck and keep us posted. I hope your flame pulls through...Lando

he is still alive. no abrasions, spots or cloudy eyes. i isolated him but he is rapid gilling. His color is still fine. but he is still layin on his side.

No spots or torn fins. My best gues is an acclimation issue or poor water parameters. What are the parameters of the water he is in now?

Got an update? How is the flame doing?
BUMP!

Also, are you doing partial water changes? That should help for now. Mix up a batch of salt water, let it sit for at least 24 hours and then do a 10-20% daily water change to keep your levels down.

I did a water change today with distilled water from walmart. I changed 5 gallons. The nitiriteis back at 0 and amm is at 0 he is not on his side anymore but he is still rapidly giling. i hope he gets better.

Keep up with water changes. Fish have remarkable healing powers given a good environment. Make sure the water change has been well mixed adn aerated before use (24 hours) and to match the tank temp and SG.

Back
Top Bottom