Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2005, 11:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

HI steve, great suggestion..only problem is I have not a real large sand bed area for him and don't think I can fit that bottle up over him. He is not a huge brain either....any other ideas I can fit around him to do it? I will go get marine vitamins tomorrow. Great suggestion. Looks about the same tonight, we used a syringe and tried slowly blowing some cyclo peez on him, do you think that is a good think or does it matter, we could not tell anything.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:32 AM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiorn67
He is not a huge brain either....any other ideas I can fit around him to do it?
Any food grade plastic can be used, preferabley clear so you can see what's going on. The important factor in size is that it's large enough to pass over the brain without touching the sides of the coral. The sharp edges of the plastic can damage the flesh and any jostling may prohibit a proper feeding response. If the coral is much smaller, use an appropriate sized water bottle mabye?

Quote:
Looks about the same tonight, we used a syringe and tried slowly blowing some cyclo peez on him, do you think that is a good think or does it matter, we could not tell anything.
You wouldn't really be able to tell if it was injesting such small particles. Larger meaty items are a better approach. It allows you to see the foods are being utilized and the coral an easier time to consume it. Not too large, about the size of a pencil eraser is good. Feed only about 2-3x a week.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-29-2005, 12:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ximat
Quote:
Larger meaty items are a better approach

Could you be specific for me as to exactly what type of meaty food a brain eats?
Old 04-29-2005, 12:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use mysis or cut up pieces of krill to feed my brain (about 1/4 the size of a pencil eraser is what I usually cut it up to but I also feed it to my sun coral and candy canes). I use a plastic bowl (like those throw-away glad ones) big enough to cover my brain with. It is rectangular so it fits his shape really well. I poked some holes in it so that it has some ventilation too. There's a really big hole at the top that my turkey baster fits into. It goes in about 2". Far enough so that I can angle the baster and blow food onto diferent parts of the brain. I leave that there overnight so that he has time to injest the food without being bothered. He is usually fluffy and huge the day after a feeding. I've even done this when he wasn't in the mood for food. It is amazing how just enticing him to eat makes such a big difference. When I put the food on he starts opening up and moving the food to his mouths.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to makana
agreed on the mysis shrimp. i also feed my brain frozen formula two cut up real small (about pencil eraser size).

------------------------------------------------------
29g berlin reef w/ 4.9 wpg and tons of current, 10g sump/fuge, and 12" CPR hang-on refugium
------------------------------------------------------

SUPPORT YOUR REEF - START A REFUGIUM
makana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:31 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I am getting a brain next and this conversation was very helpful for me to know what to do. Thanks for the question and Steve thanks for the answers. Good Luck

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:39 PM   #17
Smo
Aquarium Advice Regular

My brain lives on the front of my reef. He has been there for years and just loves it. The tank is BB, so I don't have any substrate to lay him on.
He's also my "garbage disposal" and will eat everything. I only feed him about once a week. It is not required, but they grow faster if you do this.

Mine eats: pellet food, fresh blood worms, frozen blood worms (thawed), frozen brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp.

BTW, he is very fat and happy. By the end of the photo period, he is about 8" across. Almost too big for my 29gal.

Here is one of his mug shots:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	openbrainresize.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	2315  
29gal BB | 42+ lbs LR | 143watts PC | Asst. Leathers, Frogspawn, Hammer, XLG Open Brain, Zoanthids, Mushrooms, Diploastrea heliopora | Blue Mandarin | Atrosalarias Fuscus | Pair Captive Bred Ocellaris Clowns | Peppermint Shrimp | 6 Astrea's |
Smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:06 PM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I got my Open Brain today and I put this whole conversation in my favorites so as to go back and look on care for my brain coral. Thanks again for good Questions and answers that every new Brain coral owner should have.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com