please help my leather coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mistermismatch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi i aquired a Leather coral a few months ago on craigslist. it was free and seemed to be in pretty bad condition. since, it hasnt gotten any better (or too much worse just got a bit smaller). ive tried a few things ive read about to get it to stick to a rock (it was free from any kind of anchor or base). ive tried rubber banding it to some coral it it just rotted through and fell off. ive tried sitting it on some rocks numerous times and it always just shifts and rolls off. ive tried gel super glue and it just eventually came off. it only ever extends about 10-15 percent (if that) of its polyps. today i saw it was gathering some crud so i waved it around the jets a bit and it came right off but immediately after i noticed it releasing very small clouds off white "smokelike" stuff. id show pics but my camera sucks. its stem is very stumpy and about half an inch long. the whole thing is about 2 inches wide. it still looks pink and hasnt changed much in the last 3-4 months so im guessing it can be saved. please help!!!!!!

You will have to fill in some blanks like type of lights, what is the water parameters and flow is like.

We need to know what Joy asked but something else you could do is an iodine dip. Iodine dips are great for getting leathers back to good health provided the DT parameters are OK. Get a big bowl at least a 1/2 gallon and fill with tank water. Add a cap or two of Kent Iodine solution or about 4 or 5 drops of lugols iodine solution. Place the leather in the iodine dip and leave about 20 minutes. Then place leather back in the tank. Save the dip and in two days do it again. Discard the dip water down the drain. Let us know how it looks after about 5 days.

BTW welcome to AA

Mike must not sleep as much as I do..I agree with his treatment to save that leather. Let us know how it goes.

We need to know what Joy asked but something else you could do is an iodine dip. Iodine dips are great for getting leathers back to good health provided the DT parameters are OK. Get a big bowl at least a 1/2 gallon and fill with tank water. Add a cap or two of Kent Iodine solution or about 4 or 5 drops of lugols iodine solution. Place the leather in the iodine dip and leave about 20 minutes. Then place leather back in the tank. Save the dip and in two days do it again. Discard the dip water down the drain. Let us know how it looks after about 5 days.

BTW welcome to AA

ok my water is ok. ammonia 0, nitrate/nitrite both 0, sg 1.023. im running a 24 inch 65 watt power compact light and its all wrapped up in a 29 gallon tank. all my other corals are fine including my toadstool leather. heres a few bad quality pics. best i can do. ill do the iodine dip right now. thanks for everyones help

also i have 2 weak powerheads, 1 oscilating and one stationary they are facing opposite walls to add a very slight whirpool wich isnt visible. the toadstool leather seems to like it alot since i got the new powerhead

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
What is near it that may be playing chemcial warfare with it or stinging it with sweeper tenatacles?

its clove coral or waving hand coral. ive had the leather in numerous spots throughout the tank and still nothing. the pic is a bit decieving in that the 2 corals arent as close as they appear

You may be moving it around to much and not giving it a chance to acclimate to it's new spot.

You may be moving it around to much and not giving it a chance to acclimate to it's new spot.

i dunno bout that ive only moved it a few times and at intervals of a few weeks. its looking better today. i iodine dipped it and toothpicked it to a rock. well see if it sticks to it

it rotted through. anyone in 610 want it for free? maybe someone with a better setup/more exp. than me would be able to help it out

Back
Top Bottom