please help my tank is crashing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

army6192plt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had the tank set up for about 7 months now. Everyhting was going extremely well until last week. I purchased a powder blue tang from a LFS and he looked ok there. Brought him home put him in quarantine. Everyhting was fine. 3 weeks later moved him to main tank, and he got what looked like ich so i treated with freshwater dips, and rid ich in the QT. 2 days later he was dead. In the meantime, by 2 O. Clowns started to show the same signs. Same procedure was followed. Lost one but the other is still alive. Now my 2 angels are missing. I had to remove all my rock to catch the fish. I beliee that they hve died as well, but my damsels alge blenny and 6 line wrasse are doing fine. All jhave been removed to QT and are being treated. I shoul dhave my new 180 gal on monday, but i am extremely hesitant about setting it up with all these problems. I have no idea what this disease is can someone please help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Tj

Either ick or marine velvet. Look up both and see if it looks familiar. MArine velvet kills very fast. As said earlier today in another post Powder Blues are ick magnets in most folks opinions.

What's the plan to hook up the 180g? Rock, sand or water from the existing?

note: don't buy rid ich either....I have not heard too many good things about it and often the stories end up with a bunch of dead fish.

On another note, ich is brought on by stress, if your "myinfo" is correct, you had a PBT, two angels, 2 clowns, a six line wrasse and however many damsels...that is alot of fish for that tank and I would not be surprised you are seeing these problems.

I agree with the rest. The FW dip could have had an adverse effect on the already stressed fish and led to their demise. Since you are smart and already have a QT, I would suggest hyposalinity in the stead of FW dips and meds.

yes the plan is right now for the entirety of the setup to go to the 180. All of these fish have not even had a chance to be in the tank together yet. It seems as one is coming out of qt another was going into for the last few weeks. I think the fish have been stressed out more by the temp problems i had been having for the last week or so due to a malfunctioning heater that has now been solved. no more powder blues for me. I will begin to drop the salinity tonight when i get home.

One thing I believe happened here is that when you did a FW dip you stressed it out beyond return. 95% of the time the fish does not make it IME. I have yet to know of anyone that had a SW fish survive a FW dip. I`m sure someone will come on and say theirs survived but I can show you 10 that didn`t make it for every one that does.

i have now medicated the qt tank with anti fungal anti bacterial and copper. i am trying to save the fish i have left... 6 line wrasse, 1 o. clown and alge blenny. Wish me luck

Got a copper test kit, right??? I believe I remember the number 15 (so either .15 or 15 , or .015) is the level you wanna shoot for. Watch it, it can go down, but test it so yo don't over or under-do it.

i have now medicated the qt tank with anti fungal anti bacterial and copper.
Are you sure mixing all of those won't cause a problem. I killed my clown like that (I am pretty sure). Not to mention, the anti bacterial can possibly kill your beneficial bacteria in your tank. Keep testing that water and definitely test for copper, since you are dosing with it.

the o clown is doing well and so is the alge blenny in the QT tank. Both fish look back to normal now, the main is without fish now and waiting for the month of fishless to get rid of the velvet. The 180 should be in on monday. I have 2 400w mh lamps and a diy skimmer right now, but what size tank should i use for the sump??

Back
Top Bottom