Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2004, 09:02 AM   #11
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
Greggsvt, I would follow the advice above on mixing and letting the water sit for a while before use. This allows for oxygenation and good mixing of the water and also for temperature to stabilize etc. You mentioned that you have always had ammonia, however, in a marine tank that really should be at 0. So that may be one factor. One possibility is that your tank for whatever reason is not properly cycled/cycling due maybe to the water parameters. Especially since you have no coral or live rock, water para. become more critical.As a result any change in the trace elements of your city water could trigger an event. All just guesses based on what you describe. Would definitely consider getting the RO/DI unit. Also make sure that pH and temp is equalized before adding to the tank. HTH and again, sorry for your losses

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 10:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I made the mistake of useing tap water and a dechrorinator about 30 min after mixing, about a day later my yellow tang died. ever since then Ive used RO/DI water. sorry for your loss.

Old 10-18-2004, 11:29 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well first off I want to thank everybody for their help! From now on I'm going to use my tap water filter and let the salt/water mix sit in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and an air stone for at least 24 hours!! I'm going to hold off on the RO/DI unit until I see how well the tap water filter works. This unit is supposed to remove: Dissolved minerals, calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, sulfate, chloride, carbonate, fluoride. All heavy metals, copper, zinc, lead, iron, cadmium , aluminum.- Phosphate, nitrate, ammonia, silicate, nitrite and all sorts of other organic pollutants! If anybody has any experience with the tap water filter please let me know how you think it works!
Old 10-18-2004, 11:31 AM   #14
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
I don't have any direct experience with it, but from what Ihave heard, it works pretty well. It will be better that the tap water though. I am sure with the steps you plan to take moving forward, everything will work out fine. Good luck.

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 11:50 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Also may want to get a declorinizer as well.
Of course a RO unit would fix this problem all together. A great investment.
You can also get RO water from your LFS.
Who do you use?
Old 10-18-2004, 12:01 PM   #16

RMS-Aquarium Adventures.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I pretty sure Aquarium Adventures stocks R/O water. RMS honestly I would stay away from. Lots of problems with their stock.
Until you can get a RO unit, you could get quality water from them. Either that or check out Aquatic Tech in Columbia station...thats a fabulous LFS, they sell R/O water too.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:19 PM   #18

I like the fish at Aquatic Tech but it is almost impossible to get help there! I will stand there waiting for 20 minutes for help. You'll get these people in there asking 50 questions with only 1 or 2 people working the floor! I was just there on Saturday and left after 30 minutes of waiting! Can you tell I'm bitter? Thanks for the suggestions though!
Old 10-18-2004, 12:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL, Gregs an interesting guy. Once they know you, attitudes change.
Aquarium Adventure has nice stock too.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:55 PM   #20

I did't mean to come out sounding rude or unthankful for your advice! I just never had any luck with that particular store! Maybe it's my fault for going on Saturday! I should go during the week before work. I do appreciate your advice!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com