Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2004, 01:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

please help only 2 fish left!

This week I lost 4 blue damsels (2 with the yellow tails) and my bi-color pseudochromis! Oh yeah I also lost 3 or 4 turbo snails. I have'nt added any new fish in a year and all this seemed to happen after my last water change! I don't see any signs of disease. My last damsel was acting fine on Wednesday and I found him dead this morning! I don't have any live rock so any predator such as Mantis shrimp is out of the question. My water parameters are all good.The only thing that is a little high is my ammonia which is reading 0.25 but it has always read this way. The fish have lived with the ammonia level since I added them in over a year ago. Could my tap water have had high concentrations of something poisionous to fish? Do you guys think a RO/DI filter would help prevent this? PLease any advice would be greatly appreciated! I still have my Yellow Tang and my Coral Beauty left so if there is any advice please give it! I do use dechlorinator for my water changes too!

Old 10-15-2004, 07:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Any detectable ammonia is not good water parameters. Especially a year after setting up the tank, ammonia should have ceased to be a problem a long long time ago. Best guess would be either something happend to your water supply, which is not at all uncommon, or something went wrong during the water change. What kind of filtration are you using, what size tank, etc. More info would be helpful.

Old 10-15-2004, 08:27 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Any lotions, meds, or other stuff on your hands/arms the day you did the water change? Just shootin' in the dark here trying to help ya brainstorm on what was different about the water change that day.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 10:08 AM   #4
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
If this happened at your last water change, then something was different then. However please post your chemistry testing results:

SG, pH, water temp., NH3, NO2, NO3. Something obviously went wrong with the water to trigger this reaction

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
sorry for your loss there

do you have well water or city water? if you have city water, check and see if they have changed anything in their additives... you may need to look into getting a RO/DI unit regardless.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank???? And Nodoubt asks what kind of water? Any chance of chlorine in the water? Spray any glass cleaner near the tank? You may want to get some LR also to help with the filtration of the tank.
How long did you mix the water for and was it up to temp?
Amm in a year old tank is no good????? This is why I ask what size tank..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 10:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
how long are you mixing your water? matching temp and ph?

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 11:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My tank size is 75 gallons. I use city water. When I mix my salt water I mix it in a 5 gallon bucket that is only used for aquarium water. I have a Aqua C Remora hang on tank protein skimmer an Aqua Clear 300 power filter 2 powerhead 402's for circulation. Nitrate is 0ppm Nitrite0ppm Ammonia 0.25ppm PH 8.3 Specific Gravity 1024.5 Temp 79.0. Instant Ocean salt mix.no corals or live rock. 2 10,000k 48inch flourescent bulbs. I add my salt water as soon as I dilute it with the tap water after adding dechlorinator, is this maybe the culprit? I know some people let their water sit over night. I bought one of those Aquarium Pharmaceuticals tap water filters today and it is supposed to remove all of the bad stuff out of tap water, does anybody have any experience with this product? If I use the tap water filter and let the filtered water sit over night after mixing the salt in should this be an acceptable substitute over a RO/DI unit?
Old 10-16-2004, 09:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

No substitute for ro/di
Water should be mixed for 24 hrs before used and brought up to temp very important. I run a PH and have a heater in my water before I use it.
AMM??? how old is the tank.. you should have 0 amm.. Did you find all the dead fish? If not this could be the cause of amm.
Adding SW right after mixing IMO could be the cause, a shift in the PH and temp can kill the fish.
Letting it sit over night will also help with the chlorine.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 12:29 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I paid $120 or so for my rodi off ebay. it came with a pressure tank and faucet. Others have paid less even.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com