Please help with diagnosis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deepdiver

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Last night i noticed a something growing or rather bulging from my goldies one eye. Since last night it has grown even bigger. I have asked some mates and they seem to think that it is pop eye.
Please can someone shed some light on this for me. Most of all is it contages. Do i need to remove the rest of my fish from my display tank.

Regards Bryan

something growing or rather bulging from my goldies one eye

Goldy as in goldfish??

Popeye is typically caused from a bacterial infection or trauma, in either case usually improving water condition by preforming a few waterchanges and feeding a good healthy diet will clear it up.

MY goldfish book says POP EYE:
Fish's eyes begin to protrude in a very abnormal way (not contagious)
Cause: poor water conditions
Treatment: Improve water conditions

I would try a water change of about 25% and use an aquasafe water conditioner if using tap water to protect your fish from minerals and chlorine harmful to your fish. It is relatively inexpensive and you only apply 1 tsp per 10 gal of water. I don't know anything else about the problem and the book only gives a brief description but you may be able to find more info if you research the disease on the net.
Hope your fish gets better!

Thanks for the info guys...
The fish is actually a grouper (marine species) Here in south africa we call this type of grouper a goldie. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Does all of the above still apply to him, i know the info regarding the water changes ect will be different, but is popeye on goldfish different to that that would be on my grouper?

thanks again

Back
Top Bottom