Please help with my puffer!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bix

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

So I had my DFP in quarantine for about 2 weeks, and finally caught a damsel I've been trying to get rid of last night.

I was having issues controlling the ammonia in the quarantine tank (I don't think I seeded the sponge filter long enough) so I put the DFP in the display tank.

He was fine without any of this white stuff when he went into the tank. These pics were taken about 30 minutes after he was put in the DT.

When I went to take the damsel back to the LFS he told me that the fish had fungus on his fin.

The DFP has been searching around the LR and spitting air everywhere so he may have just gotten dirty (I really really hope) but I'm thinking this might be fungus...

Is there any way for me to treat him for this in the DT? Is there a chance it will go away on its own??

Water parameters are ammonia - 0 nitrites - 0 nitrates - 5-10

Ahhh this sucks I love this guy

Attachments

• Kitchener-20100830-00007.jpg
    Kitchener-20100830-00007.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Kitchener-20100830-00004.jpg
    Kitchener-20100830-00004.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Kitchener-20100830-00003.jpg
    Kitchener-20100830-00003.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure its fungus he's still swimmin around like crazy and begging for food though..

My quarantine is a 30 gallon and I have 2 damsels and a puffer infected... wasn't noticable until today so now if I have to put the puffer/2 domino damsels in a 30 gallon how would that work out?

Is there any way I can treat the display tank?? Most stuff I see will kill my live rock.

Does it look like this?

LymphFAQs

I know that they make some stuff for fungus called pimafix. I know some that have had good results. You`ll need to treat in QT. Make sure you keep doing water test for your QT. If ammonia starts rising you`ll need to do every other day PWC`s.

It kind looks like little cottonballs..

Thing is, over time some of them will be gone but he will have some in new spots... He keeps eating stuff off the live rock and making little sandstorms... pickin up sand and eating it...

Should I wait it out a few days and see if it gets worse or move him over right away??

I'm looking at the page but not sure where I should be looking, which disease is it??

I'm going to do as big of a water change that I have the resources for now.

The one that says Lymphocytis (Cauliflower disease) And it does say it`s viral and not fungus

Yes I'm pretty sure it is Lymph

Dude at the fish store freaked out and said he wouldn't take the damsel back... told me to quarantine everything and start treating right away which kinda freaked me out

Thank you man I can sleep easy now!! :yawn:

Yes I'm pretty sure it is Lymph

Dude at the fish store freaked out and said he wouldn't take the damsel back... told me to quarantine everything and start treating right away which kinda freaked me out

Thank you man I can sleep easy now!! :yawn:

So he sold you a infected fish and wouldnt take it back. Thats kinds stupid but i think my lfs would do that too. :rolleyes:

Your DFP is a different color than mine... They are messy eaters and will loose alot of food making your Ammonia level rise.

I have had "Chompers" for almost 3 years and never had a health issue until last week. Now he has Ich, but as he is a scale less fish the Ich is only on his fins. Mine blows sand all the time looking for snails that he never eats. He gets sand all over his body and it sometimes takes hours to fall off. I have learned not to worry about it.
If your issue is not sand then the best of luck on getting him healthy. You will love his personality and behaviors.

30132-albums1064-picture7389.jpg

Reactions: bix
Yeah he's already doing all kinds of weird stuff and he hasn't even been in there for 12 hours... I think he picked the live rock clean already too although there is a feather duster still giviner.

:rolleyes:

UPDATE:

YouTube - DFP

Notice the lack of white spots and the nice big belly. :)

Thanks again Mike for spotting it for what it is and saving me a whole bunch of hassle and stress!!

Now to figure out a name...

Back
Top Bottom